Sketchfab Importer add-on for Blender

I felt this was worth sharing: the new Sketchfab Importer add-on lets you search and import hundreds of thousands of Creative Commons models.

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing, just tested out on v2.79.5 and it works flawlessly! Sketchfab rocks! :sunglasses::metal:

1 Like

Dumb question: Will this work on any model format or does it have to be a .blend?

It works on any model format! We convert all uploads (50+ file formats) to an internal format first, and for download we’ll convert them back to glTF which is them imported into Blender.

I’d say go ahead and give it a try :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey @bartv , do you know where does the downloaded content go? It would be great if we can define a ’ library path ’ for downloads and reuse them later on. Could addon detect the content from path/folder when we try to download/import the same one (Instead of downloading again)?

I asked this on github as well.

I believe it just goes into your current .blend file. If you want to download to a folder, you can click the ‘download’ button on the website.

1 Like

I tried this last night and it works great! One issue I had: After downloading a model, then starting a new scene – the import options went away and the initial page of thumbnails was different. It wasn’t a big deal; I clicked on the “next page” button and was then able to download again. It’s a bit annoying (not much) to keep initializing the tool each time you start a new scene, but I understand why that is. At least you don’t have to log on each time.
Great tool!

We added the reconnect option to prevent connecting to Sketchfab every time you launch Blender. This would be a bit of a privacy concern. So now we’ll only connect when you really need/want to.

I applaud that decision. Thanks.

1 Like

Don’t know if this is the best place to say this but:

There was a little change on the 2.80 addon API today that broke some plugins, like yours:

https://developer.blender.org/rB63fcbfc3a7325d79b9e916457d64c302ddfeadfa

So next daily build tonight will be affected by this.
At least it was easy to fix by renaming references to user_preferences for preferences on init.py inside sketchfab folder.

2 Likes

I’ll pass it on to our team, thank you!

1 Like