Skin Modifier issues

Hello Everyone!, I’m new to blender and was wondering what is the cause of this, and how I can fix it.

This is just a primitive with a skin and then a subdivide modifier. It’s as if the skin modifier doesn’t remove inner faces at the joint connection. Is there any way to get consistent results without any disconnects like these happening?

I was able to reproduce the problem, and I’m not sure how to ‘fix’ it, but I noticed that it happens at certain thicknesses and not at others. If you use ctrl A to tweak the thickness you should be able to get it to work right. I don’t think it’s a bug. More likely just a limitation of the modifier.

I’ve found that scaling up the input mesh at the component level helps remove those previous artifacts, but I’ve been unable to figure out how to remove these kinds of holes. I guess an option is to bake the skin modifier mesh and fix the non-manifold geometry. Only problem with that is its more destructive and takes manual work.

I’ve had some minor issues with the skin modifier as well, try using the “Mark loose” option on different vertices, it might help. Other than that control A and the distance between points helps too.

It seams that regardless, whatever I do to the skin modifier on the component or modifier level I’ll have problems like these. Instead of trying to iron them out, I’ve found that taking the baked mesh into Meshlab and cleaning up the holes and any disconnects is much easier than trying to fix them in blender. Afterwords Taking the mesh back into blender and using the sculpt tools to fix any thin areas of joints helps out.

I don’t have much experience with blender, I know a bit of programming and could checkout the source code and see If I could figure out some things. From using the modifier, it looks like many artifacts are fixed by increasing the base mesh up, but the tool makes non manifold geo which is quite annoying.