skinning a large area made of many vertices

Good day people,
Is it somehow possible to have some many many faces skinned at once…perhaps some automated script?

I have these contour lines from a map, and i need to make a terrain, of course i dont want to go face by face selecting some thousands of faces…

To cut words, the case is this:

thanx 4 any hint, ideas…

You don’t need a script … I don’t know when they added this into the code but if you select all your lines and hit F -> Skin Faces/Edge-Loops -> select “Segment” … This works beautifully if you have the same number of vertices per line but even if you don’t you’ll only have a few tris to deal with … but since you are dealing with a topological map that shouldn’t be a problem … This is in 2.45 btw …

thanx!
I have tried that, even if i selected the same no. of vertices sometimes it produced error like no loops found, and if i selected many (uncontrolled number) vertices it did really something very unpredictible of which cleaning would take me actually as much time as making it…

Select the vertices two contour lines at a time, it should work fine.

ok then my next question is how to ensure that the lines have same number of vertices (and they have thousans)

Well, the simple answer is that you don’t need to. The make face tool will give you options to remove edges evenly, or remove smallest edges. When it does this, though, it will make triangular faces, which won’t smooth well. Whether this is a problem depends on the actual mesh. Remove edges evenly usually gives better results by spreading out the tri faces.

Are you getting the input vertices from some program, or are you doing the input yourself? If you are doing it yourself, one way to ensure that each contour line has the same number of vertices is to make the most complicated line first, then duplicate it and rearrange the vertices to make the other contour lines, without adding or deleting extra vertices.

If the vertices are generated from somewhere else and you must work with dissimilar numbers of vertices in adjascent lines, you are going to wind up with triangles to clean up, whatever tool you eventually use. It’s just the nature of the beast.

well, I have 3rd party software generated Polylines, and cannot ensure the number of vertices of course, doing quad by quad is for days…donno really what to do…