Skyport Usak - Year 2634

Take a glimpse into the future of cargo.
A bustling freighter terminal in the year 2634 - Skyport™ are now the norm with interplanetary cargo.

This short clip envisions a world of advanced logistics and not so dazzling spacecrafts.

All 3d is done in blender with the exception of smoke sims.
Models are a mix of own models and various bigmediumsmall packs. Where they have been mixed and matched and edited to fit my needs.
Smoke and dust was created in EmberGen and afterwards rendered in Blender.

Process timelapse

Some things a learned along the way:

• Basic rigging in blender
  • Better at kitbashing
  • Futher understanding of design (Design is not 1 and done)
  • Basic geo nodes in blender, (scattering)
  • Blender in general
  • Applying mocap to rigged BMS models
  • Physics sim, blender
  • Optimizing, and when to stop
  • Applying crituqe
  • Judging which crituqe i would listen to and which ones i wouldn’t
  • Don’t parent object to new empty. This will dissolve any hierarchy you have made. This don’t work well with bones etc.

Optimizing is super important if you want to utilize your gpu.
I spend quite a long time fixing the scene to try and get it to work on my gpu.
I Found that i imported a lot of assets, by copying from other scenes and such. So even if the texture was the same i would have in 10x in the scene. Which ended up being very heavy on the system.
Found soome great tools along the way, and found that you could remap materials.
‌But in the end i ended up spending way to much time to try and get this to work. I got blender installed on 4 render machines at work and used CPU rendering. Which made the proces “fun” again but at the cost of rendertime. Though i could have saved 2 weeks of valuable evenings instead of optimizing i learned a lot from this.

Link to my Artstation if you wan’t to see a bit more behind the scenes. Im working on more of this type of content.
https://www.artstation.com/jesperbylov

Link to the project on Artstation

Cargo Hauler

Background Spaceship

Sweeper

Whaleworker

25 Likes

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

Thank you so much Bart! Thats wonderful.
Have a fantastic weekend yourself.

Great work, and thanks for the detailed breakdown.

I don’t think most people realize the amount of extra work that actually goes into making those.

1 Like

Wow, thanks for the breakdown. Its amazing!

1 Like

You’re too kind. Thank you for comment here and on youtube. It takes some work but being proud of it it. I thought i might as well make one. Also a nice thing to have in the portfolio.

1 Like

Thank you so much! Glad you enjoyed it.

You’re on the featured row! :+1:

1 Like

I think the most unrealistic aspect of this is the idea that Earth will still exist in 2634! :crazy_face:

1 Like

Thank you Bart. Thank you to you and your team for making a awesome community to share art in!