Sleepy Ceratosaurus

A sleepy ceratosaurus is awoken by an annoying insect.

The scales are all done procedurally using Geo-scatter. I modeled 20, textured using photos I took of a crocodile, and then scattered them across the model. By adding a realize instances node, they’ll then suck up the vertex colors of the surface mesh, which I then mix with the scale textures to create high-detail skin.

Additional 3d assets from Polygoniq, Quixel, Tiny Eye, and mrjeong on Blendswap.

And then in post I mixed in some 2d stock elements by Brenda Timmermans, Roger Brown, and Vlad Kutepov.

9 Likes

Wow! Amazing work! :heart_eyes::fire:

1 Like

Sounds like a lot of work! Wonderful job! :grinning:

Thanks. It’s actually easier. All I had to do to detail the entire model was paint a few vertex groups to define where the scales of different sizes go, and then most of them are scattered automatically. And because the main colors come from vertex painting, I could quickly paint different color schemes and decide which one I liked best.

1 Like

Sounds like a good way to go about it. I’ll keep it in mind if I need to texture a reptile in the future :grin:

1 Like

I’d had the idea in my head for ages ever since I saw the BTS for the Walking with Dinosaurs movie since they did pretty much the same thing:

It’s only now with geometry nodes that it’s possible in Blender.

1 Like

Cool vid.
I have not touched geometry nodes as of yet and its something that I am seeing is very useful and needed for some tasks such as this. I really need to explore some tutorials.

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like