Slimm: The plant boy

My original character Slimm.

Cycles render

Not bad!
Iā€™m not an expert, but hereā€™s some feedback:

I feel like most of your characters on your portfolio could benefit from being differentiated a bit more, Their hairstyles are different, which is a good start.
But their eyes, head shape, hands, body shape, and face expressions look very similar.

Except for Space Girl, who stands out because her pose and eyes look so different from the other characters. Her arms are spread out, fingers out, her eyes arenā€™t as wide opened as the others.

Now I understand that Berry is just in an a-pose i.e doesnā€™t have a pose yet. Okay, thatā€™s fine.
But Slimm and Floria have the same face expression. Opened eyes and a neutral mouth. and their pose are bothā€¦ very ā€œnormalā€ neutral poses.
Do your characters all have to be energetic? No. But there are ways to make non-energetic poses stand out.

For Slimm, you could try lowering the eyebrow and closing his eye a bit. Maybe give him a subtle smirk or a subtle frown.

Floria could have her mouth be more like ā€œOo! Whatā€™s this box thingy?? Itā€™s interesting!ā€
Or she could be smiling calmly like ā€œI like this cube thingyā€¦ itā€™s niceā€¦ā€

1 Like

More:
Your style reminds me of a cartoon, Steven Universe. The creator said she made the main characters have different head and body shapes in order to differentiate them.

• One of them is very skinny and her hair is pointy and she wears ballet shoes (Pearl).
  • Another has a more round body with long bushy flowing hair and wears a stylish shirt (Amythest).
  • Another is taller than them and has cube-shaped hair with sunglasses andā€¦ not sure how to describe her outfit lol (Garnet).
  • and one is round, but shorter, with an afro and he wears a simple t-shirt, jeans and sandals (Steven).

They all look very different from each other. Their clothes are different. Their bodyshapes and height are different. Their hair is different (and your characters have different hairstyles too, which, again, is good imo).
Their poses and facial expression in the show are different. E.g. Pearl is more formal, elegant, good posture, somtimes anxious. Amythest is more laid back, lazy, goofs off. Steven goofs off, too, but his a little kid, while Amythest is more like a lazy adult. Garnet is quiet badass, and their leader.
So yeah, try to find more ways to make your characters different from each other.

Good luck!

Thanks for your feedback. Each model I made was a learning experience. Space girl cubicle is from my first series I was making, and my latest model. in that story everyone was more unique there was space travel different species and a complex story, but I realized that to make that my first game would lower its quality. So I made a concept that was supposed to be simpler Slimm was actually the first character of it , Floria the fouth, Roy the second and Loya the third. Each represent the races of the planet. They looked better on the drawing I made with different poses and faces. Only problem is Iā€™m not a very weight painter or animatoršŸ˜”. Their faces are not rigged so there kinda stuck that way .Only their bodyā€™s can move.he is not posted but Only one has a face that can move from a weird work around that I did he can smile and frown.
It impossible to tell from what I posted Slimm is actually sitting down I will post full picture. You actually got the personallys for Slimm and Floria right Floria is chippy and curious, and in the original picture slimm was smirking. I will see what I can learn about facial rigging and show some of the concept art.:grin:

Yeah, sometimes I would try to make a song and it didnā€™t sound like how I imagined it. So I understand.

Shapekeys can make face expressions faster than weight painting from my experience. Just be careful not to accidentally modify your base mesh, which I have done too many times :confused: . Itā€™s very very tedious to fix. Perhaps make a duplicate backup mesh or file before adding shapekeys.
What you do is you move the vertices themselves, instead of having to rig and weight paint. You should probably learn how to do weight painting at one point, but in the meantime, shapekeys can be a quicker option.

For animation, i learned that if you record yourself on video doing animations, and use that as reference (i.e. put the video in blender and pose your character on top of the video for certain keyframes), it makes animation WAY easier.
If you can, record the reference videos at the same frame rate that you use in blender. Otherwise, youā€™ll have to tinker with time-map settings or something to get the video to play at its intended speed.

You could use other peopleā€™s videos as reference. I would only use other peopleā€™s videos for practice-only, though because it might be copyright infringement. Donā€™t publish anything thatā€™s copying other peopleā€™s work. I heard plagiarizing is frowned upon. But yeah I heard that definitely helps the learning process, at least for drawing (i donā€™t draw tho. maybe you already know this).

What type of game are you making? Rpg? Adventure game? Is it a slow-paced game? fast paced game?

I would say RPG adventure. Right now Iā€™m trying to work out bugs in the program. I want it to be open world but if I canā€™t fix the problem of slow downs I would have to change my plans a bit. Its still in the beginning phase. Blocky is I prototype for programming. You can find it in my portfolio. I have only been using blender for a few month. its the first and only 3d software i have used. I am actually an artist , who decided to become a solo developer to make my dream of making a game come true.

here are some pieces of mine

NPC design concept

1 Like