Slow and Steady - Animated Short Film Development

Hi there, nice to meet you, welcome to my development log for my short film, “Slow & Steady.” This is a short film about a turtle trying to cross the road.

This is not my first time making a short animation, in early 2019 I made a short called “A Helping Hand” a story about a fish in need. I actually made that film in about one month. So this year, I’m going at it again with yet another short film in similar style and premise, I consider this to be “A Helping Hand 2.0”

This film is incredibly simple, so simple I was unsure if a development log was even worth doing, but I thought I’d try and give some input for those whom are interested in animation and want to use Blender 3D for film-making. I’m not a professional film-maker or animator, but I have experience, I know what I like, and I have a vision, and that is key for anyone starting a creative project.

The story of the film is simple, a turtle is trying to cross the road, but he’s going to be faced by many challenges from human intervention. I have no script for this film, mostly because it’s so simple. If you are a beginner animator and storyteller, it is important to always keep your projects at a scope that you know is manageable. If you have never made a film or animation before, starting with a simple project like this is the best way to start. This film has one singular animated character and one singular background environment, and the entire short will be about 2-3 minutes long. This is a very manageable project for a beginner to complete. The only challenge in making this film for me, is creating the assets, and animating the character.

Let’s take a look at what I have so far. I’ve already modeled and rigged my main character, the turtle. The Rig is very basic, he uses inverse kinematics for his legs and neck, He has a few controller bones for lighting, and face controls. He has two materials, a shell texture material, and a vertex color material. Both materials use the same cell shading technique.

The cell Shading Nodes look like this:
A Diffuse Node, a shader to RGB node, A Color Ramp Node Controlled by a driver, and a RGB mix node set to multiply, mixing the characters’ vertex color or texture with the shadow color.

I used a mix of 2d and 3d assets to create the background environment of the neighborhood, some elements I made myself, but a majority if the background was made using free 3d assets from quaternius.com, a fantastic site for free game assets, or in my case, movie assets.

That’s all I have to share right now. This film will be developed at my own pace, so it could take a few weeks, or it could take a few months. But by sharing it here, it will likely motivate me to work on it as much as I can.

7 Likes

Great work, your turtle and the background look perfect together, it’s often easy for characters and backgrounds to look disjointed. best wishes for your completion! I have a small question, why is the Mix node multiplied with a fac of 0? Doesn’t this result in whatever is entered being invisible? I don’t know much about nodes, so… Just curious.

3 Likes

Thanks much!

I suppose I should go into more detail on the Node set-up as I skimmed over what certain things do.

So the mix node is controlled by a “Driver,” that’s why the value is purple. Drivers are a bit difficult to explain, but you can add drivers to just about anything in Blender. Bones, objects, modifiers etc. You can add/edit a driver by right clicking on any value, even a shader node like “Mix.” So basically, using a driver allows me to control different values through the movement of an armature bone.

The mix node you mentioned controls the darkness of the vertex color skin of the turtle, I need this because I’m going to have the turtle hide in his shell at least once or twice throughout the film. So indeed I do want the value to be 0 or invisible most of the time.

2 Likes

I never thought of making it invisible with a mixnode, thanks for sharing your wonderful idea with others. With your detailed description I can imagine how your turtle will hide! Cheers for your work.

1 Like

Yikes, it’s been almost a year, and still not even close to having this project completed. Oops. :confused:

It kinda sucks when you start work on a project, make good headway with it, only to end up slacking off or leaving it for another project. But the important thing is to know when it is worth coming back too. Sometimes you should kill your darlings as they say, but other times you know in your heart that a project is still worth finishing, in my case, I know this film can be finished, and it should be, for my own sake.

I have not been using Blender much at all in the last year, but I know I love the art of animation, and I love creating. It is true I left this project in the pursuit of other projects, but often I would get stuck on them just the same, mostly due to the complexity of the art, storytelling, and my lofty vision. But coming back to this project now, it seems so simple, it’s not a complex story, it doesn’t need to look perfect, I just need to put in the work and animate it. So that’s what I’m going to do. Finish this project.

Here is the opening animation so far. Right now the speed, timing and general movement of the turtle needs some work, but this is just the first draft of the animation. I’m going to focus on blocking out as much of the animation as I can so I’ll feel like most of the film will be visually done.

2 Likes

This is great! Thanks for sharing the development process. :smiley:

I hope the turtle makes it across the street safely… :worried:

1 Like

He will, he may face some adversity, but he’ll make it with the help of a friend. :wink:

1 Like