Slow animation playback in Eevee Rendered Viewport

Hi,

I recently downloaded the beta for Blender 2.8 and a couple of the demo files (treecreature.blend and temple.blend) to test how fast it takes to get a rendered result with Eevee, and I’m trying to play back the animation on this fully rendered setting: image

Only problem is that playback is barely 10fps for either file. Even navigating around in this fully rendered view was impossible. I assumed this was my graphics card, so I swapped my 4GB Radeon RX 460 for a 6GB Geforce GTX 1060 (since I was also told Blender gets along nicer with NVIDIA than AMD cards on Windows 10) to see if that would fix the issue.

Thankfully, I can now navigate 3D scenes and easily move lights and objects around in a fully rendered Eevee viewport with zero lag. However, I get the same awful framerate with an animation playback, leading me to believe this might be some sort of bug.

I have an AMD Ryzen 7 1700 CPU and 16GB of DDR4 memory with an SSD on Windows 10. What should I do?

1 Like

I’ve got this issue as well.
Moving around the viewport isn’t laggy, but as soon as I start playing an animation with a complex rig it’ll crawl at around 5fps, whereas 2.79 plays it back at 30fps.
Doesn’t matter if I use workbench renderer, it doesn’t seem to improve the frame-rate.

I’m having the same problem. It used to play at 30fps just fine, now it’s 20fps at most. I don’t know what changed. Can anyone help?

I’ve noticed animated armatures are a big issue here.
Blender 2.8 is so much slower at handling them unfortunately.
And if it’s complex, like a rigify armature, then oh boy. It’s bad.

I filed a bug report way back about the general slowness of viewport animation but it fell on deaf ears. I might follow it up but I’ve already submitted 3 bugs today.

Blender 2.8 is definitely slower at animation in the viewport than 2.79.

I have a model of the prometheus spaceship at almost 1 million vertices. The main body being around 150,000 vertices.

In the earlier 2.8’s (interactive menu called with ‘VIEW3D_MT_object_specials’) the main body of the spaceship will animate in ‘lookdev’ at the required 30fps.(so long as the scene lights are off in the outliner !)

In the later 2.8’s (interactive menu now called with ‘VIEW3D_MT_object_context_menu’) the same main body, with the same setup, animates at around 2fps which is unusable.

The later 2.8’s print to the console for every frame …
"WARN(bke.amin.sys):C:\b\win64_cmake_vs2017\blender.git\source\blender\blenkernel\intern\anim_sys.c:3610 animsys_calculate_nla: NLA Eval:Stopgap for active action on NLA Stack - no strips case

I’v no idea if this is slowing the animation to a crawl but I am forced to use the older 2.8 versions to have any chance of animating the spaceship.

I was getting about 5 fps in Eevee and I found a solution: https://github.com/theoldben/ToggleNormalMaps

In my case it was due to normal maps.

1 Like

I too am experience a slowdown from 30 FPS on Blender 2.79 to 10 FPS on Blender 2.81, on the very same characters from Resilience Satelle.

I’m at this moment convinced that this is not an issue of the graphics card (I have the NVIDIA Titan X) but of the CPU (I have a 5 years old AMD A-10). Anyone has a recent CPU (powerful CPU :slight_smile: ) that can make a test on this.

That is probably why we can rotate the viewport fast, because it’s using the GPU to do that, and playback of the animation is slow, because it uses the CPU and for some reason it got a lot more heavy on 2.8 :neutral_face: