Small 50s Style Diner

Your definitely making some major improvements! From just surfing the internet, I was having a hard time finding a picture of a diner that was taken in the 50’s, there are however lots of diners in the tourist style (for lack of better descriptor). Those are the ones with loads of license plates (why would you put a current date license plate on a restaurant wall today??? lol) and of course a elvis picture (probably singing jailhouse rock or something). I tried finding some accurate reference. Closest I found was mebe if you looked up some Norman Rockwell paintings. All of that to say, the smattering of genuine 50’s diners had a couple of things in common. They were well lit. often had large windows. The other thing that was common was the wall textures. Its a modern thing to just have large sheetrock walls.
They had either like wide wood slats, or intricate type of trim (hard to describe). I think that its just the wannabe nostalgia diners that have overloads of chrome.

The lighting you have looks more like it would fit a dive bar. While I like dramatic lighting, I would suggest maybe if you tried doing something that looked like if you dropped a french fry on the table you wouldnt mind still eating it… right now theres to many cockroaches!

Just my thoughts! I like how its all coming together!

1 Like

yes these are some great suggestions! I will try to do a ‘bright lit’ version. also I see the lights i need to change to the round lights… Oh i never thought about using a current liscense plate, silly… I know i was Pixabay for a lot of the wall stuff cause it’s free and royalty free, but i will try to stay more in the time. Hm, you sound really well versed on environments! This is very useful! Okay I will keep that in mind (wide windows,) which I will have to really rethink the space for that… but now that i think on it, usually there would not be a window there, because that is where the kitchen is and you usually don’t see windows there. on the other side would be the booths and there would be the big windows I think you are mentioning? Or I guess I would keep it with the chair and table and not booths because:
So I guess one issue is the desire to make it slightly different then other 3d tellings of 50 diners and still have a sense of realism. which there are already a lot with the booths…
Ok I will look into the wall textures. I have lots of diner reference pictures form the internet so will try and take a closer look at them.
Thanks this is a great amount of information and advice and gives me a lot of new things to look into trying.
As I say the only conflict i still have is the desire to not make it too generic but that is super hard when dealing with things from a past time. so will think on it more.

lol on the cockroaches. yes I can see that… it’s always tempting to be a bit moody in 3d scenes…

1 Like