"Small light coupé" car creation WIP

Hi, getting slowly back to modeling after a period where I couldn’t muster the energy nor dedicate time for my hobbies.

This is another project when I would like to try to improve my car design/creation modeling and rendering, so like my previous attempt I started with the conceptualization phase using grease pencil :

6 Likes

Very nice touch of grease pencil! Looks like it’s great for sketches in 3D! (Obviously, but still, I’m still amazed by its sheer usability vs “traditional” 3d modeling)
It’s aesthetically pleasing as well, you should include it with your #artwork-finished_projects renders.

1 Like

@Minamookevlar thank you, I m trying to improve this workflow each time I start the same type of projects, I’m pretty happy that the sketches are already looking better compared to my previous attempts.

Started to shape out the body panels :

2 Likes

Head and tail lights almost done :

3 Likes

Your surfacing is top notch, is this subdivided already or is the subsurf modifier still on?

1 Like

Thank you, subd isn’t applied yet, I generally never apply it unless I want to export a model to another software.

Surfacing is something I m constantly trying to improve with each project, what I learned so far is to not rely heavily on subdivision, what I mean is you want to keep you low poly mesh moderately dense for it to give the best results, and of cours for cars modelling the shrink-wrap modifier is your best friend.

Hey, so I’m curious about the shrink-wrap modifier technique for surfacing, do you have resources about this method? I couldn’t find anything online when it comes to car modeling and this technique, but looks really good and I have no idea how it would work.

To be brief, this technique resolve the issue of messed up smoothness of the surface when you start to make modifications (making holes for parts etc…), as it forces the modified object to stick and wrap around the original surface, which will make it easier to retain topology flow especially with subdivided parts.

1 Like

Thanks! I’m definitely trying that in my next project!

Pretty much finished

4 Likes

Very nice car. I see some inspiration from Audi and Lamborghini.

1 Like

Thanks, I’m doing my best to make it as believable as possible (especially the proportions), at least it’s an improvement compared to my last project.

I’m trying to use cycle for real footage integration with mixed results, any opinions about this render ? :

I think it looks pretty well made, the lighting seems quite natural and a good sense of motion.

1 Like