Smoke effect closest to surface?

Hi guys, was wondering if there is a way to get the smoke way closer to the surface:

So that the smoke will resemble more the shape
Thank you

When you create a smoke flow, by default, smoke is emitted from surface with Surface Emission set up at 1.5.
If you decrease this value, it will be emitted closer to surface.
That will also correspond to less smoke. If the value is a lot smaller than cell size of smoke domain, you may end-up with no smoke at all.
So, if you want a thin emission of smoke, you will need to increase resolution of domain.
That may end up with an expensive simulation that will take days to bake and be unsatisfying.

So, if your goal is to render a smoke man, it is probably better to render the mesh with a volumetric shader + several small simulations, instead of trying to obtain a good result with one costly simulation.

I just did decrease that value, but the smoke is still far from the surface, no changes really

If you divide values by 3, difference should be noticeable.
If you decrease it more, you could end up with no smoke.

If you set a value for Volume Emission instead, no smoke should be emitted out of surface.
But the whole volume of mesh will emit smoke. That is making a lot smoke.
If with Volume Emission, there is smoke outside of surface.
That means that there is not enough Resolution Divisions in domain to define relief of surface.

That is why it is easier to accomplish such effect by tweaking material than creating a smoke simulation.

I’m curios about this process.

Do you mean assign a volume shader to the mesh itself ?

Something like that ?

Select your mesh and add a Volume Empty, which will give you access to Mesh to Volume modifier …

1 Like

Holy Moly ! that works perfectly ! thank you man !

1 Like

One question, can I make it move ? sort of … like flickering around, as long as it’s not static

Key frame a noise texture in the Volume Shader

1 Like

Yes of course, I was on it ! thanks a bunch man

1 Like