Snail and a razor blade

Hi everyone!

I’m glad to introduce you my last work. It’s inspired in Apocalypse Now’s movie quote:

“I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That’s my dream; that’s my nightmare. Crawling, slithering, along the edge of a straight razor… and surviving.”

That creepy image has chased me for a long time, so I decided to work with it, writing an inspirational little tale as I love to do with some of my images.

You can read the short tale here.

And this is my work:

I have modeled the snail combining Blender and ZBrush. Actually this time I wanted to try Blender completely, with dyntopo, but again I came back to ZBrush. Maybe because it still can handle heavier meshes with no effort, and the brushes are more sophisticated there.

I love Blender passionately, anyway :wink: And I enjoyed texturing and shading my little Kurtz. Cycles is so powerful now.

This is a close up shot:

I hope you like it!

Have a nice day!!!

Fantastic in every aspect. Simply great.

really amazing ,good job

Fantastic materials & lighting. Congratulations

Thank you for your words, Minoribus and Fabianbz. Have a very nice day :wink:

Really nice job, a haunting quote becomes a powerful image.

Fantastic work, I love such strong contrast idea, soft VS sharp, slow VS quick. Good job!

Thank you Kemmler. The quote is magnificent and inspiring. It’s a pure image in my mind. I have used it as my main source for building the scene. But I decided to make it more optimistic with a short story, inspired in these so beautiful Randy Pausch words:

“The brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. Because the brick walls are there to stop the people who don’t want it badly enough. They’re there to stop the other people.”

So the image comes with this short story. Writing stories is pushing me up further in my images, as I try to put little details on it that are telling the tale to the viewer.

And thank you, Foxrender, for your words. As you know I love contrast. Most of my images are Yin and Yang based :wink:

Have a nice day guys!!!

Incredible concept and work. Its hard to look at it for me!!

Thank you dogdayfear. I now it’s a bit scary, but theconcept behindis inspiring, for me: no pain, no gain :wink:

Have a nice day!