Snap broken for rotated objects?

Hi,
Is snapping broken when snapping rotated objects?
I’m not sure why I have never noticed this but when you try to snap a rotated object to another object and “snap with” set to closest the object snaps to the wrong location.

Here are three images illustrating the problem. Is this a bug or is it working as intended and I am not understanding something properly?

Here are the snap settings. Object 1 is rotated.

Here you see where it snaps Object 1 with these settings. This is obviousloy not the closest.

Here you see where it snaps Object 1 after applying rotation. This is how it is supposed to look.

Which Blender version is this? I can’t seem to reproduce this behavior on 2.91.

This is 2.91. But I also tried it in 2.83 and 2.91.2.

Did you rotate the object?

Yup. Share the file, please?

Here is the file
SnappingProblem.blend (773.3 KB)

Ah I see, I didn’t realize mesh wasn’t axis-aligned. If you enable bounds display you’ll see what the problem is, i.e. what’s actually “closest”:

If you want to snap vertex-to-vertex in object mode, you can use the Center snapping via 3D Cursor:

2 Likes

Hah, I actually didn’t realize this either.

Still, using the bounding box as a something that influences what is “closest” seems like a bad design decision.

1 Like

Not so much that as the lack of the ability to explicitly use mesh points (BB snapping is useful). Here’s hoping that Germano’s work on snapping gets in master soon.

1 Like

+1 Kind of a nasty little ‘gotcha’.

I had the same problem, trying to rotate trapezoids into alignment with one another. It will snap using the bounding box. Thanks for the hint here, it was driving me crazy trying to figure out the gap left. :slight_smile:
shop-4f

If you work in edit mode using Snap to Active

AND set the Transform Pivot Point to Active

Transform Pivot Point

THEN you can use the Active Vertex to both Snap & to Rotate.
To make any Vertex Active click on it twice. That deselects it then reselects it.

1 Like

I’m actually trying to rotate a geometry node object, so I can’t really do edit mode. But in object mode, setting the 3D cursor and rotating around that to the nearest vertex works like a charm! Thank you!