Snapping discussion

… . … .:joy:

Why not?? Moi != Blender, can complement quite nicely, and better yet, can convert and export to a mesh modeler like Blender.

It was a Joy to use in it’s heyday. Still powerfull for what offers.

1 Like

MoI is definitely still a great editor, especially for hard-surface modeling. But I’m trying to condense all my 3D activity to Blender, for a smooth workflow. I got tired of having to frequently make a mind switch in terms of workflow, navigation controls, keyboard shortcuts, etc…

1 Like

moi in a sense is the missing pieces of blender :grin:

3 Likes

on review: Snapping and Constraints: Snapping on the intersection geometry with the axis constraint.

https://developer.blender.org/D5608

1. Snap edge element to constraint plane:
The snap is made at the intersection between the edge direction and the constraint plane.

2. Snap face element to constraint plane:
The snap is made to the nearest point between the view ray and the line that intersects the face plane with the constraint plane.

3. Snap constraint axis to edge element:
The snap is made to the nearest point on the element line to the ray of the axis.

4. Snap constraint axis to face element:
The snap is made at the intersection of the axis line and the face plane.

To avoid unpredictable jumps outside view boundaries, an alignment check is made for each of these snapping combinations.

This is a bit complicated, I don’t understand all of it…

I know what it is …
with gifs it will all be clearer, and it’s very useful …
unfortunately there are still no builds available to make demos … we have to wait

As far as I understand, it suggests to change the behaviour of some existing snapping combinations (element & target) to be more useful. I’m all for it, I just hope that snap target and snap element are going to be respected (otherwise there’s no point in having these settings).
Do I understand it wrong ?

How about making snapping options work with the transform, so u can hold hotkeys after transforming it snaps to the corresponding element, right now u can only assign hotkey to the whole menu which is a little better than going to the popover each time …this way users who want to work fast can use this and the new users will have the popover and the (Ctrl) key until they learn the other one…or the devs expose at least the elements for the transform operators so we can do it.
aa

1 Like

there is a setting in the input for snapping panel called “keep open”, it should be on by default, at least that gets us a tiny closer to a floating window :slight_smile:

1 Like

In my own vision Blender would work like this: while performing any transformation (Loc/Rot/Scale) the user clicks a hotkey to cycle through the snapping options, another to cycle through the Pivots, another for proportional editing and one for vertex merge mode (and maybe some other that I’m missing right now). All hotkey would be listed in the info area as usual. In other words all the hotkeys that change some editing behaviour would be available also during transforms. (see here)

3 Likes

This is the Maya way and it’s not bad. There’s only three or four types of snapping in Maya though, so we’d have to find a whole row of available keys to dedicate to that, probably doable.

I must be blind, I can’t find it :upside_down_face:

Sorry to have given to you a wrong info.

Zino.G is right. There is a Keep Open option, here.
snap_menu_ko

I don’t understand why it is not ON by default.

3 Likes

Thanks, I was searching it on the “Input” section, now is less stressful to use it :smiley:

maya has more than three or four snapping types but they are hidden inside menus and sub-menus, only the common ones are mapped…that’s why i said the devs should expose the types to the transforms so the users can pick which ones to assign,the modal operators don’t use c,b,n,e…etc so they can take many.

Woops you’re right, I had to check, there are six… ‘snap to view planes’ I have no idea what this does… the others are regular points, edges, volume, grid and surface.

I assume they are custom view-based plans,
a grid parallel to the view.
in CAD applications they are very useful for doing precision work on oblique planes

1 Like

yep and there is also 1,2,3 Points Align/Snap and a Snap together tool which i believe called basepoint snapping in CAD softwares.

I thought about something like that, a kind of modal snapping while you are performing
a transformation. It shows a snapping list with numbers aside, the last used snapping option is already selected and if you want to change the option press the right number. Can be a faster workflow what you think?