snapping to a grid plane

Actually I have 2 questions about snapping.

1. If you have a small mesh, lets say a half of a UV Sphere so it has a flat bottom and you have been moving it around for a while. Now when you move it using CTRL it doesnt snap to a grid plane but to the plane where it was located in between the grid lines. How can I get it to snap to the grid plane without have to move it manually to the grid line by zooming all the way in and trying to get it exactly on the line?

2. Take the same half sphere mesh. Now you want to snap it to a face of another mesh, say a bar, so when your finished it looks like a bar with a rivit head. Again, how can I snap the flat plane of the half sphere to the flat plane of the bar keeping in mind that neither plane is on a grid plane and the bar plane is angled?

1. to snap each vertex individually to the grid select all and then hit shift+s > selection to grid. you can do the same thing with the entire object (in object mode, not edit mode).

2. First, as you pointed out you could make sure that the sphere and bar start out “snapped” to the grid, so all that you have to do is move them together. You could also use “n” to look at properties.

I didn’t explain enough I guess…I understand about snapping vertices to grid points. That is not what I want to do. I do not want the vertices to move to grid points…I just want the vertices and edges to move to a grid line. If the vertices move to the points, which is what happens, then the mesh is disfigured. I wish I knew how to put screenshots up. It would make this very clear what I am trying to accomplish.

Take your screenshots using Ctrl+F3. Upload the screenshots as attachments to your post using the “Manage Attachments” button (you may have to scroll down some to find it.)

Ok I’m still new but I know what your talking about. Its not as simple as just pressing a button but close.

1. enter edit mode.
  2. select all the verts of your base…Normaly I go into side view and (B) box my my base
  3. now verts are selected press shift+s and then select [cursor to selection]… The cursor should have jumped to verts you selected.
  4. Tab into object mode. And find the tool box Titled Mesh and press a button to Center Cursor. It will make the Area you selected the center of you object.
  5. Hit Shift+C. This will make your cursor go to the center of the plain.
  6. Finally (hope I said it wasn’t as easy as pressing a button) Hit shift+s and select [selection to cursor]. This should bring you select area to the center of project equal to the plain.

Hope that helps ya and isn’t to crazy sounding :rolleyes:

Hi.
As a general solution to line up faces from one object to one face of another I usually make a copy of that face (Shift+D), make it an separate object (Pkey > Selected) and dupliframe the object to it (select the object, select the parent, Ctrl+P > Make parent). Then select the parent, make duplis real (Ctrl+Shift+A), erase the original object.
With some luck the rotation of the object will be right. Some prepatory work prior like positioning the center pivot as explained in other replies may help. Another way would be to use two view, one of the front of the face (in EditMode, select all the vertices of the face and use Shift+V > To Selected (front), Shift+V > To Selected (side) in the other view. Rotating the object a bit in one view, a bit in the other a few times, maybe moving it in EditMode to position the pivot center will do the lining up trick, not with mathematical precision but enough.
You could do this to line up with a grid plane by positioning a plane mesh on it for starts .
For your first question, the 3D cursor can be positioned on any plane grid fairly easy using View>View Properties > 3D cursor location (just put X, Y and Z to 0 for example) and then the object can be snapped to it, rotated in two orthographic view if necessary.

This is so far from a one button solution. Something into Python could be coded if the right functions exist in the API, maybe it already has…

Hope this helps anyways.

Jean