Snapping to grid doesn't work after rotating / mirroring an object

Hello everybody.

I am currently trying to re-create some game boy sprites in 3D.
Everything worked fine for now. One pixel is one grid-unit for me…so snapping is important.

However, I now wanted to re-use a part but mirror it.
Once it is mirrored I can not snap it to the grid correctly anymore.

Can anybody help me out here? Thanks in advance.

Here it is perfectly snapped to the grid.

This is the same part mirrored …it wont snap anymore.

Maybe you’re snapping it while zoomed in and lower levels of the grid are visible? You’re using shift+S -> selection to grid, right?

Have you tried applying the scale (mirroring is a scale transform) and recalculating normals?

I did apply the scale and did recalculate normals …still doesnt snap.

Maybe you’re snapping it while zoomed in and lower levels of the grid are visible? You’re using shift+S -> selection to grid, right?

Yeah, trying it like that… :frowning:

It snaps to nearest visible grid point. If you have fractions visible, it picks that so zoom out and then try snapping. If that’s not it, then not sure what could be wrong.

The tool tip for “snap to grid” says, “Snap to increments of grid,” not “snap to grid.” So if your vertex is not on a grid intersection when you start then will never snap to a grid intersection again (unless you do it manually by extreme zooming and eyeballing, or by entering specific XYZ transform values). This has annoyed me for a long time.

Oh, okay…and idea how to get around this? I abslutely need exact snapping for re-creating those low-poly count Gameboy sprites…
For me, as a beginner, this is one of the most annoying things in blender right now.

Select all verts and shift S snap to grid. Warning : usually makes a mess. Now move the verts you want to fix and everything should be snapping to grid points.

Alright. This did the trick for me.
Thanks a lot.

facepalm Thanks, DruBan, forgot about Shift S. But I still don’t understand why snapping can’t work like people expect it to – this isn’t the first time this has come up :frowning:

…And if you think it’s the last time I have a cheap full featured 3D graphics application to sell you!:smiley:

The ‘snap with offset’ was added after many requests so I imagine this will be taken care of soon too.