Sniper Rifle Modeling

Oi guys,
I wanted to try some hard surface modeling and now I’m starting a thread on it.
This Rifle is (supposed to be) a modified version of the M24 sniper rifle.

EDIT: Changed the Thumbnail

1 Like

Can I recommend that you make OpenGL renders as it’s difficult to analyse the model when the image is so grainy. Just apply a Matcap under the ‘N’ panel and then navigate to the ‘Render’ drop-down menu and select OpenGL…

Otherwise good work so far!

OpenGL Render is here. @Netroxen I like how you reply to every hard surface modeling thread :smiley:

Some more images

Update

The Matcap renders are much better, easier to see the forms. Save the rendering until you’ve actually finished the modelling. Otherwise good progress fella, looking pretty solid so far!

Well hard-surface is what I do, so it’s what I try to help with. If you’re interested then this was my latest project, I made all the scopes for this mod. I haven’t done much for a while since work caught up with me though…

Thanks for the steady feedback.
Damn, those scopes look neat ! Love those Elcan SpecterDR scopes. To be honest, I always get kind of sad when I see great stuff like that. I always think to myself “man why can’t I do this…”. How long have you been doing this stuff ?

Aren’t you already…? You’ve got a solid model there, I mean I haven’t seen the wireframes but the actual model looks pretty clean…
I feel like I’m jacking this thread now, but this was my first model I ever made along with my first problem. This image is from 2009/2010 in Blender 2.48…

And this is the Elcan a finished 2-3 months ago…

And this is a model I started making 3 weeks ago…

That’s been over a period of 5 years using Blender leisurely, I must stress that. I don’t do this for any other reason than because I love to do it in my spare time, on my weekends or after work.

Everyone has to start from base level and work their way up, there’ll be plenty of frustration and in-fact I drop a lot of projects just out of boredome because it takes a special kinda person to keep the dedication, something I lack.

I’m not blowing my trumpet in any way, further from the truth. I’m still learning things everyday, and experimenting everyday (This is the most important thing…). If you are serious about any of this then you can slash that in half or more, slave it for a few months, analyse topological problems and you’ll be bashing models out like no tomorrow. It just takes practice, believe me I know.

Not sure what level you’re on or how much experience you’ve had, but whatever it is. You’re on a really good way!

Update:

I’m doing this for a little more than 3 Years now.
Thanks for your advice ! And don’t worry about “jacking” my Thread, it’s always great to see progress over a period of time. It’s people like you who keep people like me running !

Update:

Upgraded Silencer (the cute little dents there)

Done the Trigger Region and also tried to make the bolt action lever, but I think I got the proportions a bit wrong on that one.

Update:

A render of the rifle:

I would love to texture this thing, but I have no idea how, since I have about zero experience with UV unwrapping and texturing. Could someone help me ?

it looks good
actually i wanted to model this gun but i got busy with some other stuff
i have the folder with some reference pictures and a empty blend file :slight_smile:

Amazing work.

I believe these would help you a bit, the CGCookie one just needs you to create a free account.

Thanks for the feedback, I’m glad that people actually like my work !

@DCBloodHound thanks for the links. I think they will help me a lot.

Cheers, Toxinias