Snow, blend file

This is awesome. Best use of suzzane ever.

Best

so beautiful, and very realistic, very appropriate lighting for the scene content!

Ha! You inspired me with your awesome work - and then had me laughing with the explanation of how you did it.
I’m sure this is the first time Suzanne has been used to create a stunning work of art. You did something historical. :stuck_out_tongue:
Looking forward to seeing more of your pieces in the future.

this is my wallpaper now rofl, great work!

am i looking at a particle system, or a hair system?
if it is the hair system, please tell me how did you made the hair look like one hair branches off another hair?

1832vin You are looking at hair system. Here hair does not branch from another hair. The effect is achieved by heavily distorting emitter geometry, and by randomly orientating each hair, and then hiding emitter geo.

Astounding work. I’m blown away, especially seeing how “simple” your setup was.

Hello Black Rainbow,

Congratulations foro this very well done work. Some years ago, i made a real life photo with my camera, and this one looks like this:

So, you got pretty close!

Inspired by the idea of cerating a christmas snow scene, i tried to recreate the snow setup, but all i got was looking like mildew instead of snow … :frowning:
So, would you be so kind to provide a little more informations about Particle Settings? How much is your emission number and hair lenght? which type of cycles hair rendering settings you used? For the Displacement, i tried to work it out with a clouds texture and 0,3 Strenght on the displacement modifier, but with this, there are a lot of single hairs looking like floating in the air when appending the mask modifier.
A little help would be very nice - with your help it might be possible to deliver very nice Christmas Renderings this year!

Thank you in advance and kind regards from Germany,

Andreas

Karl. first of all, thanks for the kind words. Your photo is quite good by the way. But mine is better :evilgrin: (sarcasm)

Here are the settings. Hope it helps

Some notes. The Hair number and children number are for all “suzannes” that are in this picture. For one suzanne approximate numbers will be :

hair number: 1000 - 2000

Children number: 20 - 50.

On hair render type - i used ribbons, because it had very specific translucent look, with internal details visible and it rendered quite fast. But “thick” also would give you good results, more physically correct maybe, little brighter, although render times would be greater.

On floating hairs - main parameters to play with is hair length and displacement strength, don’t use displacement with too little details, keep it in shape.

Very good result!
After the update i prefer the second image; thank you for sharing the process :slight_smile:

WOW!!! What about sharing the whole process? O:-) Maybe just some text-based tut… please! :slight_smile:

Hello BlackRainbow,
thank you very much for the screenshof of the settings. Over the next days, i will work out my own version. Your Work is very well done, and it seems to me that you will earn a lot of fame for the first usefull snow setting for Blender! Congratulations!
By the way, have you tried to use your snow setting to create a more complex scene, say something like this :

(Sorry for posting just a link, the linked image is copyright protected).

If you have some ideas for workin out a lager scene or deliver more information, we all would be happy if you would consider about creating a blendswap account …

Greetings from Germany,
Karl Andreas Groß

Awesome job on the snow!

Great light!!

Wow!! That looks real.

:yes: wow…nice work!

Wow. Amazing! For both your image and blender! :slight_smile:

As i’ll have a birthday in few days (7th January), here’s lil’ present for you guys. :slight_smile:

Great compositon! Beautiful!