So.. this little shroom guy

Looking for some advice on shading for the floating gem. Has to be eevee-compatible

I want a somewhat milky/rough glass with glowing inside. The typical stylized gem thing.

General feedback also welcome! :slight_smile:

First Post!

10 Likes

Current Node Tree

1 Like

Super cute! Main thing i notice is the grass is very straight. This looks magical and fun :slight_smile: I really like the lighting and the atmospherics.

1 Like

Thanks! Grass has been touched.

And some shameful texture painting on the gem :smiley:

Just realizing the leaves of the tree on the left don’t use their alpha mask.

1 Like

UPDATE:

It still looks terrible. :slight_smile:

With updated graph

3 Likes

Well, Kinda went ok. I won’t waste any more time here sincei think it looks ok. bit like the sorcerer’s stone from Harry Potter.

Still, if anyone has some decent tips how to achieve that milky crystal shading effect, it’d be appreciated.

4 Likes

do you have any reference for the look you are going for with the crystal? if so I can see if i can find anything that looks similar? not saying i can… er… but. yes. also a couple things: one are you going to have an emission shader on the crystal? if so in compositing maybe put a bit of extra glow around it? And on grass. Like I see you have a lot of lighting on the grass already. Also maybe make the grass a tinge greener? also maybe add transparency on the grass… honestly i have never made an outdoor scene… so…I’m kind of guessing… anyways, this is getting really cool!
Also you could look up crystal in blender (or substance painter) cause they maybe would go over some texturing.

1 Like

Yeah i actually followed a tutorial like the ones you sent (the CG Matter/Default Cube one is Canon of course :D) but it didn’t look quite right.

I’m also a guy who wants to have everything procedural (much like cg matter :D), so the amount of texture painting was a bit daunting. I’m really happy with the crystal as it turned out tho.

Currently working on “Part 2”, the shroom guys have inspired me i guess, will use your tips on grass and translucency there! xo

1 Like

Really cute render! I think you should try using more Subsurface on the mushroom for that interior glowing effect. I hope you are using Cycles…for some reason I can’t stand Evee…For the crystal - I think it looks a bit rough with the texture painted on - I would suggest using a variation of the glass shader with some dispersion added. There are some tutorials out there that can help you achieve this quickly in cycles. The background glow is cool, but I would probably add more volumetric texture and use depth of field to blur the background out a bit as it is distracting from the cute mushroom dude up front. As it is now the depth of field feels really flat. Here is a quick photoshop to illustrate what I mean.

2 Likes

PS - you can try to render the shroom and crystal with a few different materials (with transparent background) and try combining them in postprocessing/photoshop to see if you can’t create the effect you are going for…

1 Like

This project is absolutely amazing! I loved it.

1 Like

I tried a quick test of the shroom dude and glass. Only added some volumetric to the interior of the stone.

1 Like

I hope you are using Cycles…for some reason I can’t stand Evee…

It’s eevee, yeah. Cycles won’t start to render after more than 40 minutes… so that wasn’t really an option :stuck_out_tongue:

Hence the SSS doesn’t come out too great. i really like it on the lamella tho.

glass shader with some dispersion added.

I mean i COULD do that in eevee… or use Luxcore and re-do everything… but i don’t really need dispersion here i think.

add more volumetric texture and use depth of field to blur the background out a bit as it is distracting from the cute mushroom dude up front. As it is now the depth of field feels really flat.

You are absolutely right, great compositional advice, thank you! <3

Thanks a lot Nad!

1 Like

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

Wowsers, thank you so much!

Still, you didn’t use the “final” version. (no shame in that)

Is that because the entire thread is shared?