So.. we have VBO in 2.77rc1 enabled by default??

It is also an option in the game engine System > Storage, and when I start my game with it, it stops my animations for some reason? Anyone else tried it?

Edit: Anyone knows how to use VBO with a shader here?

Looks like I forgot to add this to the release notes. I’ve now added a section on the raster storage change:

• The immediate mode option (glBegin/glEnd) has been removed. This mode is slower than vertex arrays, and, with Blender’s minimum OpenGL version bump, this mode is no longer needed as a fallback.
  • Vertex buffer objects (VBOs) can now be selected as a storage option. These are usually slower than vertex arrays with display lists enabled, and they may cause compatibility issues. However, if Blender switches to an OpenGL 3+ core profile, the BGE will need to switch to VBOs since vertex arrays and display lists are not supported by OpenGL 3+ core profiles. This option is available for users to experiment and play with, but is not, yet, recommended for actual usage.

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Ref/Release_Notes/2.77/BGE#Raster_Storage

@Moguri
Thanks for the update

With VBO as option, this opens up regular bge to impliment geometry instancing correct?

The VBO feature is a big addition to the engine. Did a benchmark by using an array modifier on a cube, pushed it above 2 million verts and got a stable 33fps in the BGE on a Geforce 630GT card. I ran another file which is from an FPS template with lots of grass instances, however I got 10-20fps on that file, however the 630 takes a big hit with GLSL screenspace shaders, so I can’t confirm what the bottleneck is on that file.