Solomon's Treasure (completed in 2 weeks) *Updated to 2.49 and new Linux release*

Lol. No, we didn’t make them up. They are actually from the Proverbs of King Solomon (since that was the theme of this years contest). I did paraphrase them, though, so they wouldn’t sound so… old sounding.

Actually, Clean3D and I were planning several different puzzles based off of other of Solomon’s wise sayings, but time constraints did not allow us to do anything but the key and lock puzzles. We both really enjoyed this project, though, and we hope to make a much more complete and more polished game out of it in the future.

The game does restart itself when you fall off. At least, it should. There is a ghost plane in the pits which triggers a message. When you press space to continue, it restarts the game. Let me know if that’s not working for you so I can look into it.

Just out of curiosity, why are you guys wanting a pause screen? There’s not time limit or anything, and it’s a rather short game. Are you just wanting the music to stop when you pause, or maybe you don’t want to worry about somebody else dropping you off of a cliff when you get up to get a snack or something?

hmm i dunno, i guess to make the game more complete? I think it should just naturally be a part of the game, kinda like how erasers are to the end of pencils xD

And yeah, the reason it wasn’t restarting for me was because i wasn’t using the right version of blender. So yea its good now

one of the key holes if you are standing near the door and translate it then try and use a key it everything but the camer just stops working.

Lol. No, we didn’t make them up. They are actually from the Proverbs of King Solomon (since that was the theme of this years contest). I did paraphrase them, though, so they wouldn’t sound so… old sounding.

awesome! :smiley:

I’d like a pause so I can minimize it and stuff, you know?

incredible work.

peace,
-nick

Wow, this is a lot of fun. Great work!

(I think need a quicksave though. :wink: )

At one point, I may have Right Clicked or hit Spacebar in the wrong order and the dialog/key overlays got mixed up. Screenshots attached.

Attachments

The game is fantastic Blendenzo and Clean3D. Hats off. I have a few visual nitpicks, and a couple of bugs. Bugs first.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r6/ktbluear/Untitled.png

This happened after I opened the inventory, then clicked on translate.

If possible turn collision off of the keys, it’s really annoying running into them and then falling.

Once I jumped onto the railing and it just repeated the falling animation and wouldn’t do anything.

More of a feature comment, but there needs to be a way to open the inventory to check what keys you have, other wise you just have to guess what they go to. Kind of defeats the puzzle element.

On the art side of things, there are a few badly stretched UVs on the ground.

The texture used for the walls is very repetitive. I’d recommend a few things. Firstly, if you can get the splash script working, that’d help you a lot by adding in some more texture. I recommend using Blender materials and baking on a lightmap (actually, I like to bake a light map and an AO map and combine them). The lightmap also gives you the ability to bake in colored lights. Within that map, you could also paint in sort of a dirt map.

You have VERY little geometry. There are some places where it wouldn’t hurt to add some additional geometry. Rope bridges are a good example of this.

Lightshafts would look fantastic, especially if you add some moving dust motes.

There’s a general lack of movement.

You really need to clutter up the space a bit more. Add some extra actors. Some statues, more vines, old cracked tiled floor, fallen chunks of stone, perhaps a rupture in the wall, coated in vines, from which water flows. You get the idea.

I recommend that the second area have a very different colorscheme.

Definitely a thumbs up from me. If you need a few extra assets, PM me and we’ll figure something out.

Ive downloaded it now, gave it a go. Very nice work!

Its a simple, smooth, and well thought out game. Nice puzzels to solve.

Its a pity you didnt get to enter into the contest Blendenzo, id like to have seen how it would have gone.

A quick save would rock!

The sound is great, a very nice game guys. Would be cool to see a sequel (hint hint ;))

To which I would add: more rooms, more variation and uniqueness within each area, unique puzzles, different textures…

…unfortunately, adding these didn’t agree with our deadline. Lightmaps were considered, but at that time we needed to abide by a 10-MB filesize limit - Not very convenient when you’re picky like me and won’t use any formats expect .PNG. :wink:

As for the stretched textures, I’m still looking for ones on the ground (do you have a screenshot?). Sometimes I think it’s acceptable to scale textures differently to avoid having repetition.

Overall, I agree with your ideas. We just didn’t have the time to implement most of them. Thanks for your input!

As for changing things at this point… It may happen, but don’t hold your breath (at least for artistic changes - I can’t speak for Blendenzo). I learned a lot during this, and rather like what we created considering the time constraints, but sometimes you just have to know when to quit and move on. A sequel is more likely than changes (again, don’t hold your breath).

Very nice game. It has amazingly high quality for such a quick project. Good work!

Better character model would rock, it doesn’t blend in with the amazing inviroment and it hasn’t got any eyes. But this game was awesome, a main menu and better storyline and it will rock. Btw can you fight in it? I didn’t play everything…

Awesome job man! Love how you put scripture in the game. Very well done man. Hope to see more of your stuff.

Hey, this is a good game! I have reached the treasure! :slight_smile:

And I love Bible. Salamon’s writing is one of my favourite. :slight_smile: (And Job, and John… and all. :))

Yeah framerate sucks for me too, but it is a really cool game! There should be a floor or something so that when you fall off you hit something, or maybe just a quick fade to black when the message comes up. Also you should be able to control her while in the air a little bit.
But awesome concept and execution. Makes me think that there are a lot of stories in the Bible that would make a really great games, a bit gorey perhaps, maybe PG-13, but with really great lessons in them.

wow, awesome. i mean WOW.
but, how do i get the keys?..

anyways, this is a low-poly masterpiece!
but, am i the only one that noticed that the character has a remarkable resemblance to lara croft? hehe. i see what u did there. :stuck_out_tongue:

and my comp sucks, but it runs at a very good framerate…

Zymn, you get the keys by right-clicking to release your mouse, and then clicking on them. You will have to get fairly close.

As for the resemblance to Lara Croft, I can see what you’re saying, but I would like to remind you that not every puzzle-solving-shorts-wearing-jungle/ruin-exploring-treasure-hunting female lead character is… is…

ahh.
ok.

but, she DOES look some like lara croft. the shirt seems to have a close color for one…
aaand, it seems to be a woman. close skin color. hair same color.
ok, fine. but, i still think its just a less detailed lara croft. :stuck_out_tongue:

http://forbiddenplanet.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/Lara%20Croft%20guns.jpg

see?

but, even tho, i do like the character design. kinda cute…

lol, I was just trying to be funny. There is indeed some influence from the Tomb Raider series. I was hoping to go in a slightly different direction - almost a parody - but as you saw there are some very striking resemblances between the two characters.