[solved] Bevel between 2 surfaces on another surface

Hello everyone,
my first post here, i could not find the answer elsewhere but maybe i’m not that good at searching…
If the solution is already been posted please link me the topic…

… cut …
after making a detailed post about my problem i discovered that i can only put 1 image .-.
… cut …

is there any way to have the intersection of those bevels rounded instead of connecting in 1 point?

i think that this will solve a lot of my modeling problems with blender :slight_smile:

thank you
rugge

Bevel is a very destructive workflow, its really easy to bevel something, but a lot more difficult to unbevel it, so dont do it unless you know for sertain that you wont have to go back and make any changes. If possible, experiment with the bevel modifier.

Anyways, i cant seem to identify your problem. To me it seems pretty smooth by just doing regular bevels on top of bevels. All though this is not the ideal workflow, it seems to work just fine.

https://gyazo.com/68e43aae39c1c93209650a951fe03b30

what parts is it that aint smooth to you? Or is this a topology issue where you want to get rid of ngons?

Hi!
thank you for your reply…
I used the bevel modifier and try to play around with the parameters to get rid of a problem i have modeling the plastic cap of a coffee cup…

Here i “simplified” the topic because i noticed those “spikes” when i have a vertex on a surface not followed by a beveled edge (it’s difficult to explain with words :slight_smile: )… in the picture i posted those 3 points are of this kind.

Maibe is better if i show you the original problem

in that point i have the same situation of the cube i’ve shown you before…
What i thought is “if the bevel move around that vertex making a round it would be better…”

ill upload the blend file too so you can better understand where i’m wrong :):laughing:

cupcap.blend (695.1 KB)

thank you!!

rugge

I could not open file in 2.79
which bl version are you using ?

I had to append ob into another file !

you are using subdivision after bevel
try to add more edgeloops which might help to stop the distortion

happy bl

i’m on 2.8…

i tryied to add more edgeloop in any direction :joy: but the result is even worst .-.
probably there must be something wrong in the way i’m modeling…

this is a screenshot of the mesh without modifiers

Given this geometry, which looks pretty good to me, I think I’d start with a few ring-divides around the top of the cup and also just below the rim: say, cut that top-ring in half or in thirds, and also cut in half the ring below the rim. “Where you need detail, add a little geometry.” Then, something as simple as Smooth might be able to help you.

do you mean without using the bevel modifier?

It bothered me too and I tried to fix it. The conclusions are that 1) you need more dense and square faces around those poles.2) use just one modifier, bevel or subdivision, then control the hardness with bevelweight or crease value for subd. I hope to remember myself next time :slight_smile:

cupcap.blend (830.0 KB)

Wow…

so i have to start from a realy dense mesh… i mean the cylinder i start from should be at least 32 vertex?
Or is there any way to work with a lower number of poly, then subdivide keeping the “cylindrical” shape without manually move all the points?

In a more complex model this can became a hell really quickly :disappointed_relieved:

thanks for the solution :slight_smile:

Here I subdivided and aplied Looptools Circle comand and Relax on edges to reestablish the smooth flow. Having your good topology helped. All this can be left at the end. Depending on workflow you can either simplify flat surfaces and remove unnecesary loops to have a final lighter model or keep both high and low poly(your original) and go for the adventurous road of baking the normals. In my experience the acception of “low poly” is almost never the lowest poly.

:scream: :scream: :scream: :scream: :scream: :scream:

I didn’t know about the existance of “looptools”
i look around in all the menù (i thoutght my search didn’t work well) then i googled it :joy::joy::joy:

I mean… this addon should be active by default.

BTW You made my day.

thank you very much