[SOLVED] Blender and the serial port

Hi! I think I’ll be asking a question that’s quite difficult. :spin:

Is it possible for Blender to send and receive data through the serial port?

In school, we have an 80’s - era Microbot TeachMover 6-DOF (Degrees of Freedom) Robot Arm. I think it is popular among engineering circles. For those who are not quite familiar with it, it is a robot arm which understands BASIC programming language and communicates through the serial port.

For our undergraduate thesis, we are considering making a GUI for easier manipulation of the robot arm. As of now, our most feasible tool is Matlab, since we have had sufficient experience with it over the past two years.

I think it is unlikely that we will be using Blender for this project, so maybe I am just asking a brainstorm question :smiley:

It just might be good for Blender’s development. Is it possible? Probably by using the game engine and its Python API. What do you think?

I don’t see why not. You’ll need to use a serial port module for python (kinda like this: http://pyserial.sourceforge.net/) and write your own scripts.

Cheers,

Bob

Thanks. This is interesting. :slight_smile: I’m still zero at manually operating the serial port, so I’ll just have to dig some more. :slight_smile: