(Solved) Halo material in an old tutorial

The instancing (or cloning, as you said) is quite simple:

1. Make the object you want to clone the child of the object over which geometry it’s supposed to be cloned.
    This can be done in the Outliner by holding shift and dragging the object that you want to become the child on the object that you want to parent it to. (Or in the 3D view by first selecting the child, then the parent (order matters) and then pressing ctrl + P to parent it using one of the shown options)

2. Go to the Object Properties of the parent object and look for the Instancing subpanel. There you can choose to either instance the child to the vertices or the faces.

The new particle system is actually being implemented and set to become part of 2.90 as an experimental feature, as far as I understood.
Though I’m not sure how much functionality that will entail. Currently first manipulations of particles through nodes are implemented in the master branch.

Unfortunately I hardly use particles beyond distributing greenery on terrain, so I can’t tell you more than what you’ll find on the first page of google results…

1 Like