Solved: Hoping someone could convert a 3DS Max file to fbx or obj

Thanks to the kind help of @marcatore this conversion to .blend has been done and resolved!

A long, long time ago, in a galaxa… well, in 2011 I used to model for hobby in 3DS Max. That was before Blender was as intuitive as it is now. Anyway, back then I modeled a robot in Max for a contest which I won. I still have the .max file but I no longer have access to 3DS Max. From what I find through Google it should be possible to export geometry from 3DS Max to .obj or .fbx and import it in Blender. It probably needs a lot of work to make it work well and look good in Blender but that’s for later.

Is there anyone around who has 3DS Max and is willing to give converting a try? Here’s a link to the file from my Google drive: (link removed)

And here’s what the robot should look like (not sure if posed like this or just T-pose):

Thanks to @marcatore the model in the link above has been converted to .blend. Unfortunately it seems to be a half-finished version with a rought blockout of the lower body and legs and lots of details missing. I’ll look if I can find a more complete model. For now, please don’t invest time in this! I’ll update when I find something.

Now…we’re looking for a good environment and new shaders and a nice final image! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah that’s my aim!

1 Like

Hello @Meshmonkey

I have recently completed a boat model using 3D Max and converted it to .obj format as well.

Feel free to reach me at
E- jack(at)technogiq(dot)com
Skype ID live:.cid.a0f06a69cf1c6478

Regards
Jack

1 Like

Thank you for your kind offer but the conversion is already finished :smiley: I’ve already done some work on the shaders after cleaning up the geometry. The conversion came out pretty decent and usable, better than I expected to be honest. I’d love to see the robot move so I’m now looking how I can add a rig that allows the use of Mixamo animations.

1 Like