[SOLVED] RIGIFY 2 missing eye corners error and incorrect armature for type skin_eye

I imported a model from daz to blender and I was working on it, however when I generate rig, even though I did everything correctly and there should be a problem I get the following error:
RIGIFY ERROR: Bone ‘eye.L’: Expected 2 eye corners, but found 1
Incorrect armature for type ‘skin_eye’
Can anyone tell me why and/or how to fix it? I am new to rigging so I do not understand what “incorrect armature for type skin_eye” means or “Expected 2 eye corners” because since when do eyes have corners??
SOLVED EDIT: It is a bit embarassing but apparently when it told me that “eye.L expected 2 eye corners” I thought it meant like there is some problem with the mesh and how the armature interacted with it, but apparently it means that the bunch of eye bones were disconnected. I totally missed that, my bad. Im keeping this up though in case anyone ever gets this error again

Make sure that the head and tail of the bones going into the outer corners of the eye are in the exact same place:

If the end of the upper eyelid bone has been moved away from the end of the lower eyelid bone, you will get that error message.

You can drag-select over the join to select the ends of both bones. Then Shift-S and pick Cursor to Selected. Then Shift-S again, and pick Selection to Cursor. That will put the two ends in the same place.

1 Like

Thank you so much magpie! I had already found the problem while trying to fix something else with the eyes :sob: :sob:You are right though that was the solution to my problem. Thanks a lot!!

1 Like

Funny enough, I only recently uploaded a video that was made just for this type of post (it’s more common then you think).

Anyway, on the odd chance you or some future readers happen to hit the other few common problems, here’s the video that may save a lot of pain and questions later down the track.

Also, on the off chance you have yet to actually parent the eyeball (sphere), then one of my older videos may also help.

1 Like

oh yeah i saw the video on eyes! thank you :slight_smile:

actually, I have a question, how do I move the eyelashes too? I can not for the life of me find a way to weight paint it while a bone is selected so I have no idea what to do and i cant find any help

Ahh, eyelashes, yeah, they are a serious pain and frankly I’ve still not found a solution I’m actually happy with.

At the moment, I’ve added a whole extra bone chain to give me controls along the outer edge of the solid mesh object that I use to define the top eyelash.
That mesh is then weight painted between the same bones along the top eyelid and the eyelash outer edge.
That way when I close the eye, the eyelash always goes down more then wanted along the outer edge and cuts into the mesh, etc. So I then use those extra controls to lift it back up.
The actual eyelash mesh can be texture mapped for the actual eyelashes or hidden from render and used to drive a another mesh object with a lot of little modeled eyelashes using a surface deform modifier.

Here’s a close up image showing most of that in pose mode, but it gets a bit complex and messy.

I tested out a few options and hit issues with each one and still not happy with this. For a still image it’s easy-ish to get something that looks really good, but when it comes to animation, it all gets way more difficult.