Some bones are moving on their own after I export to FBX

Hi, I’m trying to create an avatar for vrchat and I have problem with my armature where some bones keep moving/detaching after I export to FBX then reimport. Particularly on the arms and legs, bones will shorten so there’s a gap. I have no idea why this is happening and I’ve done a ton of google searches where almost all of the results talk about setting the correct frame for an animation. I’ve never done anything for animations so the only thing I can think of is if I fatfingered a hotkey and saved it without knowing what I was doing. I have everything applied, so the scales for the body/armature/clothing are all at 1 etc.

I don’t have too much experience with blender and this is all I’ve done so far, but I really can’t tell if this is a bug or if I’m just incompetent.

It is a bug… or at least it was a BUG…https://projects.blender.org/blender/blender-addons/issues/94018
Are you using Ik constraint?
According to the reports, FBX doesn’t properly export them and they can lose connection… this is a problem with FBX itself…

On reimport to Blender did you select Force Connect Children?

One of the recommendations was to disconnect and then reconnect and remove the constraint…

Since you are not using any animation data, could you try exporting to Wavefront / Object File, USD, or GLTF?
VR chat may like Wavefront/obj better…I just don’t have any experience with VRchat…what do they recommend?

No, I’ve never needed to do anything with IKs so I have no knowledge of those… As for forcing a connection I don’t know how to do that either. I did try deleting all the leg bones since I only have 8 (thigh, shin, foot and toes x2) then redoing them but I still have the exact problem.

I’ve never exported to anything other than FBX since that’s all vrchat uses but I’ll give it a go.

I just tried the force connecting setting, and it somehow makes things worse… Without it, the tail separates but with it turned on the bone rotates outwards too.