Sound branch (2.5)

You’re welcome!
Well, it’s hard to describe a ‘bad’ playback… It’s like crackling sound with interruptions in between short sound slices (like 50ms or so). Sometimes you can hear that kind of sound if you have a sound driver issue or a bad input connection. I also noticed an ‘echo’ sometimes, but I can’t reproduce it always.

I use M-Audio Delta 1010LT audio card and Linux 2.6.24-24 RT SMP 64 bit kernel.

Cheers!

popski: Could you please rebuild with OpenAL disabled and find out, if something changed?

Regards!

Disabled OpenAL doesn’t help, it’s the same awkward sound. It looks that it also depends where I put the start of a sound strip. If I put the start of the strip on the frame 1 and set the playback cursor on the frame 1 and press play, I can stop playback normally (although is sound still crackling). But if put the strip on the frame 1 and set the playback cursor on the frame -10 (or so) and press play, I get this weird additional ‘echo’ effect and I can’t stop the playback if I press the ‘pause’ (need to wait till the end of record). I hope you understand this awkward description. :o

Cheers!

Yeah, the not stopping playback, echoing and wrong behaviour when seeking to negative frame numbers is a known bug!

But what I don’t understand is the crackling when you play normally the first time. I have that neither with OpenAL nor SDL. :-/

Regards

(reminder: I’m a blender newbie)

On the windows 32 bit version (from link above), I can’t drag the sound in the sequencer to the 0 layer, is that correct?

I do experience not so much echoing, but more a “interval” like soundl - not only the first time playing.
Both with Streaming as RAM.

system: Pentium D820- win XP32 - 1GB - Nvidia Gforce6500 - Onboard Audio Realtek

Have you ever been able to drag something to layer 0 in the sequencer? :smiley:

Actually there’s no difference between streaming and RAM :slight_smile:

About the “interval” like sound, I have no idea, but I’ll recode the whole sequencer stuff anyway, we’ll see if it’s still there afterwards.

@GTWillemsen

The layer 0 in sequencer is the combined or composite of layers 1 and upward. So whatever you put on layer 2 is shown above layer 1 etc. and if they are combined with an effect the grand total of that is shown on level0,… Think of it as level0 is reserved for the final render.

What I do is leave 2 or 3 layers empty between my graphical stuf , and my audio. So where the visual stuf ends, there’s a 3 layer gap then the audio comes. Just to keep em seperated.

This is where Im gonna try and do a pyscript project, I want a diffrent workflow when working with renders , doing the cutting and editing and, then finally the audio.

Greetings!

Yeah, you didn’t hear much for the last time, but I can now proudly announce that my branch is just before meing merged into 2.5.

We finally got OpenAL working on Windows and I’ve created a build for you to test and put it on graphicall, but again I cannot post the link, only the title:

SoundSystem branch - Blender 2.5 win32 r22222

The build contains a newer ffmpeg version than the one in svn, so ogg and other file types should work without a crash now. To switch to OpenAL have a look at the audio settings in the Outliner User Preferences -> System and OpenGL

I already had two people reporting delayed sound playback under windows, would be nice to have some more people confirming that bug.

Sorry that there’s no build for linux yet, but linux users may try to build themselves.

Regards!

cool, thanks for developing this! :slight_smile: