Source Code

Hi,

I plucked out a frame from a new animation. It is my first Yafray render.

I would like to give some depth to the circuitry (without modelling motherboards). Perhaps adjust the normals or displacement somehow. Any ideas?

Attachments

I think your best approach would be to model the circuitry. Once you’ve modeled a chip, you can duplicate the others… might look complex at first glance but with duplication it’d be amazing how quickly you’d rebuilt the major components… only about four would need to be made. You could add a bump map based on the areas, but it’s not that much less work in this case and will look very fake, given the angle that the circuitry was shot from.

Something about the camera angle looks wrong. It looks kind of… close, and uninteresting. Like a video-game ‘follow camera’ view. You might want to work on composition a bit.

Thanks for the comments.

@BlackBoe: You nailed the idea in one. It is supposed to be a first-person animation, following an arrow. When the animation is complete, it should give you a better idea of the whole picture (so to speak).

@Lancer: I was thinking of yet another approach. Instead of simply modelling all the chips, I can easily model the underside of a circuit, showing the lines and solder points. Simpler and a bit more representative of what the animation is trying to exemplify.

Thanks again!

Here is the video: