Space Background

Made a space background with cycles internal textures. Hope you like it. :slight_smile:

uhm btw is it possible to like bake the background on an environment texture or something like that because with that shit load of notes it gets pretty heavy to render for only a background.

space.blend (860 KB)

1 Like

This is pretty neat, can you maybe elaborate a bit more on how it functions? And would I be allowed to use this in a non-commercial project for a fan project of mine? (For my purposes I would tone it down a bit to make it darker and reduce the glare of the stars, otherwise it would be perfect as a background to my animation)

I know this is a rather old post, but honestly it’s the best i could find anywhere.

haha, yes this is quite old, so honestly I dont know exactly how I did it. I could send you the project files if you like, but i can’t promise you that it’s well-arranged :smiley:
Ofc, use it for whatever you like, I dont mind :slight_smile:

Ah awesome, many thanks :slight_smile:
I think I figured out a way to make it work for me, I just have no clue of how you managed to get this done. All I see in the World setup is a bunch of Voronoi Textures and ColorRamps. The latter appear to be all black but I am guessing the Vorononoi somehow control the colors. No idea where the stars are actually coming from.
I have to admit I am a complete Blender noob, especially when it comes to the Shader Editor. I know the bare minimum, but anything beyond that is, well, beyond me :wink: I think I’ll just have to play around with it a bit more and just try and see what happens when I play around with the different nodes. But for now I am actually really happy with the look I can get out of it. (After some contrast and brightness tweaking in the compositor)
What I find really cool is that the file appears to work flawlessly in Blender 2.93.
It’s gonna be a while until I have anything real to show, but if you are interested in seeing what I am doing with it you can have a small look here:

Not the final look, and only a small part of the final video, but I think it’s close to the overall quality I want it to be. (This is for a fan project for the 20+ year old X-Wing Alliance game)

Again many, many thanks for letting me use it! Everything else I tried looked much worse or took up an insane amount of extra rendering time. (While still not really looking that great)

Neat! Really cool to see someone use this. I did not realise I actually attached the blend file haha. Looks really nice so far! I remember seeing lots of these comparrison videos on youtube :smiley: