Space Battle game/Series- Help needed.

I’ve been experimenting with mirror and such while making spaceships and wondered what I’ll ever use them for. I thought I could maybe make a game, but I have no game making skills whatsoever. But, if the idea I just had grows, the following will consist of an outline of my idea, and what I’d need.

Idea: USe my ships in a space fight game. Classic Humans vs. Aliens. Instead of it being just single player though, it would be a multiplayer game for only those who are in the project (all available online play will be for a latter time, if any). The battles will be filmed with views from the cockpits of the fighters or turrets, and some outside shots with cameras tracked to fighters or a spectator camera man. The series will revolve around a human space carrier, and it is up to the players to determine the fate of the human race. When you get shot to pieces, your character is dead, and friendships will alter accordingly. I was thinking the dead player wouldn’t be allowed to come back, but I realized that was too harsh. So people who enjoy fighting would come back as different players with different backstories (which all potential players must submit before acceptance). So there might be a bunch of different people who all sound the same. Character modeling is another issue though. I want the main focus to be on the battles, just because I can’t model people:o . The only way small character stories will come into focus is if someone wants to create the stories and animations themselves, which I am not asking for.

What’s needed.

Modelers- I’m fairly certain I’ll be able to do the bulk of the modeling, but others are always welcome. Small details are my weak point, as I just don’t have the time on my hands to do all the small stuff (I have homework).
Textures- …I really need someone for this. I can’t find a single decent tut. on how to texture things. One would be welcome, and I’ll texture things myself if necessary, but it would be nice if someone who’s good at texturing could help me.
Programing the Game- As stated before, I can’t program, I’ll need a programer as well. Tuts. are welcome, but I plan to focus mostly on modeling.

All people who contribute will be given credit and profound thanks from me. So, realistically speaking, what are my chances of getting this started? I don’t want this to turn out like the Wild West project, with 40+ pages of posts and one blend file with a walk around and observe game (no offense guys. If you have the game finished, then I’m a moron. I haven’t checked the thread in a couple weeks).
(Note: I’ll post renders later)

Here’s the alien space carrier thus far, the little black dots are fighters, the carrier isn’t finished.

Attachments

to high keep it low

It just has a smooth setting on it, but I’ll probably make it a little more blocky later if needed. I decided the fighters flying beside it are drones, they’re pretty simple. The manned fighters I’ll make after school (six more hours, sigh:(). I’ll do some concept art on more aliens and human ships and scan those in as well. I used to hate modelling, but now that i discovered the F key, it’s much more fun.

Sounds interesting…
I have some textures you can use.

No, your mesh has way to many polys. Way too high for Blender’s game engine. If it has more than 5000 faces, you know you’re doing something wrong. If it has more than 1500 faces, it’s still a bit high. If you have no experience with making games and using the game engine, stop this project while you can and start a much simpler idea. Like a pong game. I’d be surprised if you can even do that.

I’ll attach an example ship I’ve made that has an extremely low amount of faces. You’re ship needs a lot of work. In fact, I suggest scrapping that ship - and trying again. Never use subsurf on game models - it doesn’t show up in the game anyway - inless you were to apply it. And subsurf adds a ridiculous amount of faces. Game modelling is much different from what you’re thinking of. Good luck.

In these images - the ship has 5500 faces. The only reason it has soo many faces, is because my game only needed one main model. You’re mesh should consist maybe of 2500 faces maximum. About half of what I’m doing.

Attachments

HyperReal, you’re a bit harsh, but so true, but harsh…nice model, by the way!

@ HyperReal, I checked out your ship a few days ago, it looks really good, and I like the disks. I’ve taken your advice and messed with the faces and the carrier now has 2250 faces and the drone has 484 faces.

Attachments

What size of textures would you like? (1024x1024 - 256x256)

David:don’t pick a too high texture, as this will slow the gameplay

Hyperreal: It depends aboslutely on the game. If you have just a few characters, you could go fairly high poly like you mentioned. You can still go about that high in a fairly big game. It depends mostly on the speed of your computer though. A space battle game would be pretty large so I think davidspleen could optimize a little however, which he did.

Davidspleen23: Your ship is kinda pointy. It has got a lot of points that kinda make look fake. You should make a different ship like an x-wing, or the like. You could still keep this model if you want though. The drones look fine.

@mokazon Remember dude, spaceships aren’t effected to wind resistance or anything like that. His spaceship can be any shape he wants. (I think it looks really cool. I love sleek alien ships)

@hyper From what I get reading the OP, it looks like there is only going to be a few ships actually in a game. (Maybe the large battleships are just sitting there, and players take out small ships (like a carrier or something)) So I don’t think hi polyed models should be that much of an issue. (Though 3k is quite high.) I’d like to think he is fine where he is now.

@Divided I think this is a very interresting idea. (Though I am not sure about the whole movie plot to it) If a realistic (what is real about space fights anyways?) multiplayer space dogfighting game is possible for you to make, then all I have to say is:

1. I hope this doesn’t die like alot of other projects (including pretty much all of mine)
  2. I can’t wait

Davidspleen: you can make any ship you want, but in my opinion if you have a point, there should be a reason. I wouldn’t just add stuff to make a design on a ship. There should be a reason for everything

Well, I kinda thought a good backstory for the spikes would be the aliens believe strongly in fung shei (I think I spelled it right), and that’s what the spikes are for. There will also be turrets on them in the future. I’ll work on more modelling in a bit. Minifig, the small texture would be nice for the moment. As for combat, the battleships will remain stationary throughout the entire battles, so I might be able to allow more polygons because they won’t do much except shoot turrets. For fighters, there will be two human ones, and four alien ones. The humans will have the standard fighter and assault space tank. The aliens will have the kamakazie drone, the one rendered above, drone fighters, assault fighters, and manned fighters. The kamakazie drone will be fast and deadly. The fighter drones won’t be very smart, they can only focus on what’s ahead of them, so getting behind them is the best way to engage them. The assault fighters will have hheavy armor and weapons, designed for sustaining heavy damage near battleships. They aren’t designed for engaging fighters, but the turrets on the battleships. The manned alien fighters are just fighters piloted by aliens. Thats about it for spaceships for now. There will be different kinds of battleships, but I want to keep the number of different fighters down for now. Imagine starwars battlefront 2 space battles, that’s what I’m hoping for.

EDIT: HyperReal, how did you do the missles for your ship?
I’ve also begun the fighter drone.

Here’s a few.
Just tell me what you need!

Attachments

sweet, these will do nicely, do you have a good texturing tutorial to recommend?

new ship, the alien fighter drone. IT’s not finished, and will be armed with two cannons and two laser miniguns. I’ve been browsing the game section in the forum and I can see why people are skeptical about my project. I don’t want his to be the next MMORPG hit. I want this to be a series that people can enjoy and participate in if they want to. I don’t want it to be very complex, I’m not striving for perfection or something amazing, I’m striving for an enjoyable product that people will enjoy.

Attachments

It looks good! Your poly count is mucho improvo.

it’s only 290 faces, so that gives me plenty of room to work with.

messed with the drone really fast, and I have to say, I really like the loopy thing where the wing mets the cannon. Just my personal preference. Anyway, I modeled the main minigun really fast and I’m just posting the finished drone for some C&C

Attachments

and why do people keep calling me David? It DividedSpleen