Speaker | CGI Product Viz (Feedback Welcomed)

This time, I decided to use DOF and Lens Dispersion to add realism.

More renders on Instagram and Behance.

1 Like

I would reduce the dispersion effect by half… minimum
And place the focus point on the front of the object.

As for the dispersion effect hats a fair point, I was thinking about doing that, but I wanted the realism to really show. At the time, I did not know where to put the DOF other than the logo.

Not bad, but be careful, I see some glitchy patterns.
patterns

Those patterns are a sign that the render is too low in quality. The noise wasn’t cleared well enough for the denoiser to compensate.

Those specific patterns mean that there were gaps in the noise, probably because the noise treshold stopped sampling those areas too soon. This can be fixed by lowering the “noise treshold” and increasing the “min samples”.

These are the settings I would try.
render_settings

That is also where I would put the focus. It’s just that the DOF is really intense. If you use a DOF that’s too strong, it can give the effect that your object is a miniature. If you look at photos of insects or other really small subjects, you will see the DOF is really intense, as the lens is zoomed very close to itself.

In your case, it’s still an amount that’s plausible, I just don’t know if a product photographer would leave large parts of the product itself blurry.

Perhaps you could try placing another object in the background (could be an instance) and reduce the DOF effect so as not to impact the main object too much (especially the texture).

TBH, all of the product photographers that I know (me included), rarely used shallow DoF for product photography, usually at f/8 or above.

And because all product shots will get a fair amount of post-processing, usually dispersion (or Chromatic aberration) is something undesirable and usually gets cleaned if there’s any, and a good lens doesn’t have that much of dispersion/CA to begin with, especially at high aperture value. So I agree with the dispersion FX is too much in this case.

1 Like

Great Feedback! I’ll keep that in mind for my other projects.

1 Like

Dispersion has no place in product visualizations in my view. That’s a lens defect. It would never be present in product photography in this amount especially. Why would anyone photograph their products with a crappy lens? No professional would do that and no client would ask for that in normal circumstances. I mean, what do I know, there are all sots of situations, but I don’t think this is it. And same goes for focus and depth of field. They are nice effects, but mostly people want the products to be sharply in focus and clearly visible. These are tools for artistic photography, not product photography that has one single very specific purpose - to show the product. Some specific mood or feeling might be desired to communicate, but then it must be the strongest and clearest visual communication possible. What does dispersion and shallow depth of field communicate here? What is communicated by the front not being in focus? Is it a blurry product? Is it hard to see and and to hear? Is it unclear? Is it not sharp? Does this match the sound quality of the speaker?.. Did they not have money for a good camera lens? What else were they cheep on? Is the product made with cheap components as well? Do I want to buy it then?