Speed Lines in Geonodes

Hi ya there blender community!
Firstly just really been appreciating the help. You guys are awesome.
Secondly I am stuck once more and am reaching out for help.

It concerns geo nodes and I am try to instance a bunch of lines onto a cyclic curve and have the lines bend and animate following the curve path.

see mock up below for what I am trying to achieve

I am trying to achieve speed lines for an anime style car on a track .

any help would be very much appreciated.

This can help you…

4 Likes

You can use my z-curve-sweeper below. It works just like a curve-to-mesh but can also take points as a profile to produce lines. You can then mesh-to-curve those lines to perform further curve operations on the resulting lines.

The principle it uses internally is as follows:

… it instances curve points on points and realizes them to create a group of curve points to use as the profile for the curve-to-mesh.

Good luck.

4 Likes

Hi there. Thankyou so much for your input.
This is almost there. The one thing that is missing for this to work in my scenario is for the lines to fill within the curve circle.
Just having the lines form on the mesh of the curve has not been ideal in my project.
This is still a great demonstration and I will add it to my geo nodes archive for future projects. Thankyou

This is a great foundation thankyou.

I am liking this idea. I have not worked with curves very much and would like to ask if using your method of generating curve points allows the curve lines to be broken up into smaller lines so that the lines look closer to speed lines.
I have had a play and have been enjoying the result of your method so far.
Can you point me in the right direction at all, Thanks for any help.

You can use a Delete Geometry node on the mesh lines in Edge mode, where the Selection is plugged into a Random node in Boolean mode.

Good luck.

thankyou! perfect

Am I doing this right?

it looks right but just not sure.

here is my test blend
speed lines test.blend (2.3 MB)

if you could make any corrections that would be much appreciated.

also one more thing with the curves. If you have time to answer this next question that would really be helpful.

I am so thankful for your help so far and would like to ask if you know how to taper off the curve profile on each of the displayed curves. they seem to be uniform rectangle and would like to see each of them come to points.

again thankyou so much. you have been most helpful

good luck.

1 Like

oh wow thats insane. That looks amazing.

to animate the lines would it be best to just simply add a time scene and connect the frame socket to the random boolean seed value?

Hi, you can experiment with whatever you want.

I’m showcasing a technique to use the GN feedback hack to make motion-streaks here:

Good luck.

Thanks so much Zero. you should be called heroskilz haha.
I have accomplished the desired outcome thanks to you. I will post my final animation once its all done. God bless you and thanks so much again!