Speed up Blender on Mac

Does anyone have any good tips on speeding up Blender on Mac. Not the rendering process, but literally when you are just using the file, e.g moving objects and stuff.

I have some files that work fine, but then when I come back to them the next day, suddenly it is incredibly slow and keeps crashing.

I’ve changed the memory cache from 4096 to 30,000 but that doesn’t seem to have improved anything. Are there any other settings I should change that might help?

Hi, @jrsevans! Without knowing more about your Mac, I’d just recommend checking out the Poor Performance section on this MacOS Intel troubleshooting page from the manual:
https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/troubleshooting/gpu/apple/intel.html#macos-intel

Let us know if that helps, and if not, share some more details about your setup that can help us troubleshoot.

Ah yep had a look at that and doesn’t seem to have improved it too much.

I’m using a Mac Studio
M2 Ultra
64GB Memory

and on Blender using the Metal GPU - 60 cores with MetalRT on Auto

on Mac Sonoma, I did notice a decrease in performance when I upgraded to Sonoma, not sure if there is a setting that got changed that I need to change back?

So, a Mac Studo with an M2 Ultra and 64 GB of Unified memory would be plenty of horsepower for about anything but the most demanding of scenes. When are you having slowdowns? Brand new scenes? Scenes with tens of million of polygons? Super high resolution simulations?

If it happens all the time, I might recommend using the “Load Factory Settings” option described here:
https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/getting_started/configuration/defaults.html#loading-factory-settings

As a fellow Mac user, I have a hunch I’d like to explore if you’d indulge me. Could you describe to me how you installed the Blender app and how you run it when you want to use it? Thanks!

So weirdly it happens when I come back to a scene that previously worked fine.

I can be happily working on a not particularly large scene and then come back the next day and suddenly the whole scene is so slow that it’s unworkable.

Yeah tried factory settings but that didn’t improve anything.

So I downloaded it from Blender itself and then I have the application in my dock and just run it straight from that.