Sphere Lamp by Vincenzo De Cotiis at Palazzo gallery

This was the first Blender project I really finished. I made this as an exercise to see if I could reproduce something similar, but not intended to be identical, to a render created by Studio Kage (https://studiokage.wpcomstaging.com/) of a sphere lamp designed by Vincenzo De Cotiis at Palazzo Gallery. You can see their original render on their Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/studiokage).

Everything - models, textures, materials, cloth sim were created from scratch entirely in Blender 2.92.

The meshes are very simple geometry with (bevel/subdivision surface/solidify) modifiers.

The material shaders are all standard Principled BSDFs with inputs from a mix of procedural noise and hand-painted textures with the exception of the lamp bulb which uses subsurface scattering (with a point light inside the mesh) and the curtains mix a Velvet shader with another Principled BSDF using Voronoi noise in the Normal channel.

For lighting, I planned to use a HDRI map but ended up just staying with spot and area light primitives. I used the excellent fSpy addon to reproduce Studio Kage’s camera setup. It was rendered in Cycles and composited using Cryptomatte inside Blender too.

15 Likes

Nice work !!

1 Like

Thank you!

Very well done!

1 Like

Thanks Jeff!

When I saw this I’m trying recreating this scene now as a personal challenge too. Could I ask about the 2 bases underneath the lamp? If you didn’t use substance painter then how did you make the dark edges on those? I don’t see a bevel there in your models and they look lit? Did you create individual textures for each face that matches the UVs with a darkened border?

Hi Pete! Please post it if you do!

There actually is a smooth bevel around all of the edges on those objects but given how far this was from the camera, to darken the edges I just quickly multiplied the Pointiness data (I believe that’s only supported in Cycles right now) from a Geometry shader node onto the basic texture I had created inside of Blender. The texture was just view projected with the faces moved around in UV space to look right but those aren’t used to make the edges you’re asking about. I probably should have at least used the Pointiness data as a mask for mixing a second texture (of surface imperfection noise for example) but I basically used the mask itself as a linear gradient texture in that case. It does not look good enough up close!

For what it’s worth I think tricks like this are fine in this case, given the goal of creating the scene quickly but in future I would use Substance Painter or similar to do this properly if it needed to be seen up close or used as a reusable asset.

Thanks. I will learn about the pointiness feature. Why do you use a color ramp and invert it?

The ColorRamp node is used to control the Pointiness data so that I could narrow in on the specific area around all mesh edges that I wanted to work with. Pointiness will output data for the entire mesh so it spans a wide spectrum. Processing it with the ramp allows you to crush the values closer together in order to focus on a specific range of pointiness (in this case I wanted a very sharp transition from the non-pointy main surfaces to the very pointy edges). If you experiment with this by connecting the ramp to a Viewer node to get a visual of this, it’ll be easier to see what I mean.

Oh and with regard to the Invert node - after thinking about that again, I think it probably wasn’t needed at all!

After using the ColorRamp node, the shader output was black for the flat surfaces and white for the edges, which is the exact opposite of what I wanted to multiply into the albedo texture so that’s why I inverted it but actually it would have been one less node if I had just swapped the position of the black and white stops in the ColorRamp to do the invert in there instead!

Also if you do try this, you shouldn’t try to copy my exact ColorRamp stops as you’d need to tune this per mesh so I don’t think it’s really a good way of achieving this in general if you’re trying to create a reusable shader material.

Thanks for the info. I will see if I can do this or another way

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

Oh thank you! have a great weekend too!

1 Like

Good job
Could I see the wall node?