Spinning outline creates millions of vertices

I’m working on objects for 3D printing. When I create cylinders and other round objects, I generally use 256 edges. (Most of the time 128 is enough, but I stick with 256 out of habit because some larger pieces looked better with that count.)

I created a shape outline for an anchor plate as one part of something that will be assembled:

It has 12 vertices. The cursor and object origin are at the lower left vertex. I spin it around that for 360° in 256 steps, with Merge picked as an option. I would expect that to give me, at most, 256x12, or 3072 vertices total. And, with Merge checked, I would think the two vertices on the far left, that are the center of the rotation, would merge, so I should lose 255 vertices off the total for each of those two vertices, or 510, which should give me 3072-510, or 2,562 total vertices.

When I do this, I get 3,391,168 vertices!

With over 3 million vertices, the shape is unmanageable. It takes forever to do the simplest function with it. I did a Merge By Distance and that reduce the count, but it was still higher than it should be (3629 vertices). I selected the center with a box, from the top, in XRay Mode. I expected that to select 2 vertices, the one on top and the one on the bottom, but, instead, I got 1,069 vertices in just the center. The normal merge by distance (set to 0.0001 millimeters) didn’t reduce that count. I changed it to 0.01 millimeters and repeated. That gave me just the two vertices in the center (one upper, one on the lower surface).

What’s happening here? Why so many vertices in the center and why so many vertices overall - millions of vertices instead of thousands!

can u pls provide blend file so we can check it out? thx.

1 Like

Are you sure you doesnt have another objects in outliner which can interfere with polycount?
Also i would double check initial edges to double vertices. Maybe blender cant merge them after Spin tool i dunno.
For me in 3.1.2 using Spin tool works fine and create 5632 (which are exact 3072 vertices) triangles.

@ImaginaryTango ,

Yeah, or at least a screengrab of yr settings the pictures tell us nothing.

The blend file is over 250MB and I was going to upload it, but I don’t know what file sharing service people in this forum prefer (and I keep forgetting which ones don’t just delete files after 30 days or create issues like that). So I copied just the form to a new blend file and that was also over 250MB. I selected the vertices and looked at the status info - WAY too many vertices! All I could see was 12, but it looks like the two vertices that will become the center are a huge number of vertices.

I was working on this last night, rather late (well, that’s normal for me) and I thought I did a rotation and it worked, but wasn’t sure. Now my guess is I did a rotation, did something odd, and what was left looked like a simple 12 vertex and 11 edge outline, but it was a result of some error that led to it having thousands of vertices.

I have no idea how that happened, but I obviously hit some key or, while exhausted, checked an option I didn’t know about. At this point it’d be impossible to figure out what went wrong.

I didn’t realize the issue was in the original outline form - never would have thought to check it until @Blender_Fun1 asked for an upload and I found out how big the file is, so thanks for the extra eyes on it, everyone!