Spot Lights in 4.0 backward spot

In 4.0 Sport lights do also project backwards a small spots. This depend to the size of the spot light, a parameter used to soften the shadow caused by the spot light before.
Now all my scenes render different, I get the white round spot on a ceiling where I used a spot light. I often just use them in addition and that will reveal where ever I placed one.

So, anyone knows how to turn that off? Avoid it?

In the changes note its written: Use the incoming socket of the geometry shader node.
But that didn’t work here.

Hmmm that is unfortunate, I see what you mean.

Not sure how to do that “incoming” thing either.

The only way I have found so far is to use light linking and exclude the “ceiling” from the spot light’s linking group. (the ceiling does have to be a separate object from the lighted part)

Yeah, thats not always easy. The backside geometry output can change the color and intensity of the light, but it never gets below 1.0.
The only other solution is that size to 0.0.

In other render software the size is for reflection not shadows. Or you can set a light offset, where the light starts its effect. I tried to do that with ray distance, but again, it doesn’t remove the spherical spot on the back.

yea, but then the shadows of the objects that are lit go sharp. I agree that it is not nice.

I found a way round it with the light path ray length. Set the “less than” threshold to twice the radius (or above)

3 Likes

Thanks, I always wonder what the number really means. Distance in meters?

Yes distance in meters.

Not sure why you have to double the radius in the ray length.

Edit:

If you have volume in your scene this could also be not desired.

Here the spot has a radius of 0.5 inside a volume:

Clipped

Not clipped

partially clipped

In my opinion this is almost a bug. Its surely not ‘like in other render’.

2 Likes

I would say that at the least it is not behavior that a user would expect.
I can not see the advantage of the spot lamp’s radius illuminating the area outside of its cone.

Definitely worth a report

1 Like

Guys, I found another solution,
I think they just want us to use the light-linking feature, and exclude the plane on the top from being affected.

Eg, Spotlight behaviour in 4.0.1

Spotlight behaviour in 4.0.1 using Light linking

Honestly this hinders us from working back and forth between older versions.

Hardly a solution. The whole thing is a total misbehavior. Its not realistic, nor physical accurate. I’m not sure why they do not fix that.
Light Linking is not realistic and will cause other problems. The shader solution is better, but again, this is all a giant glitch.
Blender needs a user discussion on new features, or developers will ruin the software.

2 Likes

:roll_eyes:
Just report it as a bug.

1 Like

I reported everything… it seems not work. I have a critical issue on another bug and they ignore that since months.

Light linking will not help for volumes either, because excluding the volume would get rid of the god rays.

Oh, that makes sense.

Anyways, the bug has been reported :crossed_fingers:, I just checked.

I approach all software with the assumption that older versions will not open newer scenes, and not with 100% compatibility.

When I jump to a new version, I never try to work backwards.

2 Likes

Nope. You have no idea what happens in production?
I have seen hundreds of cases where we run into a bug and HAD TO GO BACK.
I just have this in Blender, as 4.0 does crash MacOS with ever there is more than one UV channel, because they removed the option to switch to OpenCL.

So just a sample where I had to go back. Thankfully I only tested 4.0, but bang backwards. And there are many more bugs in 4.0.

Beside this, SOFTWARE DOESN’T demand that. Rhino, Maya, C4D all have backwards options. Modo is one of the best software here, you can go back and forth between 5-8 versions. Its a way how you develop a software. If every new feature is an option that can be skipped… well than its easy.

I do, yes. And due to there always being bugs in new versions, our production depts stayed on previous versions for a very extended time. People were free to play with the new toys, but under no circumstances were allowed to use for any production-level creation until the new software had been decided to be used in full. “We’ll go backwards if there’s a problem” was considered not an option, and absolutely not with “made in new version” files.

This period could last between weeks and months, as we would do our own eval on “what works, what doesn’t” as well as pay very close attention to what people outside our company were experiencing.

As to “other software doesn’t do this” - false, it does. Not with every new release, but it happens. Blender also doesn’t do it with every release, so looks to me like they’re not outside the norm.

1 Like

To be fair, 4.0.1 is the first release that caused quite a lot problems, in areas where it made no sense. Before, nearly all changes where logical and wanted.