Stained Glass Future

Here is a short video that I put together for my church. Was gonna post it in finished projects as it is rolling this weekend and at this point I don’t have time to re-render much on it, but then I thought “Hey! just because it’s nobody will see it again doesn’t mean I can’t make it better” :slight_smile: At any rate, if you have any comments or critiques I’d love to hear them. If nothing else it’ll make my next project that much better.

I was kinda crunched for time on this project, I had about 6 days of actual work time on it so I wound up dividing it up into three sections to make it easier to build, light, and render, so in case you are wondering why I went about it in that way, that’s the main reason :o

Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFUXzhRPe7E

Once again thanks for lending your creative eyes to my project!

Attachments

how did you do the stainglasss
i mean is it real 3D model or jsut UV map + alpha ?

nice work

happy 2.5

Hey Ricky, for time sake I wound up just doing a translucent uv mapped image with some geometry back behind the glass to give the streaky look. Originally I had the lighting a lot nicer coming through the windows but it was render time prohibitive as it was sitting at about 10 minutes per frame to render and I had 600 frames or so in that section.

well if you have a long render time i guess you go for minimum time and whatever tricks is needed !

i did some stainglass last year real 3D model with many material for glass
and it look awsome but takes some times but not that bad

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?p=1332064&highlight=church#post1332064

here is an old cathedral i began but did not finish
it was getting to big but might try to complete this in 2,5 later on
and i did inlcude several stainglass in the windows

mind you you could try to do the render in 2,5 might be faster to do it !
try approximate should be faster in 2.5

happy 2.5

This actually was done in 2.5, when I get some time I might revert back to the previous lighting setup. Right now it bugs me that all the light coming through the glass is the same color. As far as I know there is no really good way to make the volumetric lighting take the color of transparent objects it passes through though. Originally I was faking it with a couple different colored spots passing through each window, which looked better than this setup looks, but was just too time consuming to render. If anyone knows of a good way to do this I’d love to hear it.

when i did mine i did get the color from spot light but got to use ray trace to have it work
and got an image on the floor in color

so don’t see why it would not work for you

mind you did not do this in 2.5 that was last year !

but may be you should get the renderbranch version whic is more advance in terms of rendering it may work with that one!

did you looks at my thread even if it is not completed yet

salutations

for your dark scene you could use the new indirect lighting in 2.5
and gives some emit for each of the stainglass color
and may be add a little bit of ambiant light

might give a very nice render !

salutations

I can get the color cast on the floor to be affected by materials (which sadly aren’t even visible in the render because of where they fall), just not in the beams of light. Were you able to get the beams to be affected by materials?

This is what I’d like to accomplish
http://www.art-head-start.com/images/tutorial/vlspheres1c600.jpg

i did not say colored beam like halo

that i’v never seen

but may be open a new thread on this subject

may be possible !

salutations

I know exactly what you want mate, however I have never experimented/done this sort of thing, so i cant help you out, but out of curiosity, does the halo light going through different color transparent objects not work? does it just give regular black shadows?

Hey DDD, what appears to happen is that the halo takes whatever color you have set as the color of the spot, and then reduces the intensity of the halo as it passes through a transparent object but does not affect color.

Oh, ty, and bummer… lol, well i hope you figure it out.

there is the colored shadows but don’t think it’s enough to do the job youwant

http://www.harkyman.com/2008/08/06/controllable-shadow-intensity-and-color/
http://www.blender.org/development/release-logs/blender-248/

l think more about it !
salutations

Well, anyway … it’s a very well-done and satisfying piece. And in six days? :eek: Sweet!

As far as I know, the only way to color the light is through ray-tracing … but this, like so many other things, can quickly go “well beyond the point of diminishing returns.” This piece is very effective, very well done, and I think that all the technical decisions you made on it are good ones.

“To the Gallery with thee!”

I agree, to the gallery!
Great job with this piece. Beautiful, especially for 6 days.
My only real problem was that in the very opening scene with photoshop open on the desktop, the screen doesn’t receive the tip of the shadow of the back of the building. This may be a result of something else, but I think the tip should be there, and it throws me off a little bit.

/nitpicking

How did you do the grass?

Sundial and Ayn, thank you very much for the kind words!

As far as the shadow on the screen, here is my feeling on that. Since the screen itself is emitting light and is probably brighter than the lamp on the desk casting the shadow (at least by the time the light gets to the screen) I would think that a shadow wouldn’t show up on the screen because the backlight of the screen would cancel it out. However since you brought it up and I had just kind of assumed that, I tested it out on my monitor with a flashlight and unless I made it unrealistically harsh, shadows weren’t visible on the screen.

As far as the grass goes Rvn, it’s a hair particle system. I think if I remember correctly it’s 5000 particles, and 100 child particles per parent, so 500,000 blades of grass. I’m also using a blend texture to get a more realistic grass look on the individual blades, and another stucci texture to add some darker and lighter spots in the grass as a whole.

there may be a way

in thread on volume by NRK we did a theather scene with volume where we could see the spot beam in color 3D and no halo

but this means that the scene was foggy or filled with some smoke

but not certain if this would be appropriate for a church like yours !

have a lpok on this thread and see the picture with sport light and fog!

but as you said you might not need this it’s already quit good

salutations

http://www.art-head-start.com/images/tutorial/vlspheres1c600.jpg

Did they fake that, or is it the way they did the transparency? They raytraced it, did you try that with just one frame of your animation? You might have to make an alpha map to make sure light doesn’t filter through the solder, but not have thing too white and not be visible. Probably a darkish gray, but you would have to experiment. I’ll play around with stained glass until I figure out the effect you want.

as i said i’v given this tip in earlier post

we can do colored shadows since 2.48 i think
but the problem is that you need one spot light per shadow color !

so not a practical way of doing it with a stainglass!

check out the thread on volume we did a theater scene with colored spot light
but may work with stainglass too i 'll try a test later
but volume needs a very strong light to get any effect on the 3D texture in volume
and it depends on density of volume which affect the color on 3D texture

salutations