Star Destroyer

Hi All

Another small update, I know I said that I was going to work on the deck, but decided to finish the quad turbolaser area 1st, don’t know where The Force will lead me next. :rofl:

Also blocked out the entire ship, so it’s all ready for the detailing now. When I look at it in its entirety it seems like an insurmountable task! :woozy_face:

Regards

Shaun

6 Likes

I was excited by your progress until I saw that last render showing all those uncompleted surfaces. Sorry to see you have sooo much more to go. Keep it up. It’s looking awesome.

2 Likes

Hi Mark06GT

Thanks so much for the nice comment!

When I saw the open surfaces I also got a fright, but this is like eating an elephant, one bite at a time. :rofl: The thing I am doing is trying to keep it fun, if it takes a year or two so be it, putting pressure on is what makes people give up on projects.

Regards

Shaun

Wow this is awesome, you’ve been working on this for 3 years consistently ? Why don’t you use the discombobulator ? I think it would accelerate your project by a large amount

I only used like 6 greeble object here, the Star Destroyers would have a lot of objects. And this was done in abt 15 mins.
You can control the greeble object of your choice with the Discombobulator addon, it’s basically something like a scatter addon, but made specifically for greebles.

2 Likes

No, :smiley: but it sometimes feels like it, what you see is probably about 3/4 months total work with a lot of delays in between.

Thanks for your interest and looking into this thread and the link to the Disombo, but as I said at the outset I am trying to get the model as accurate as possible so I will model everything, that being said, even though I have hundreds of high res pics there are some things I cannot see properly or make out and then it is left up to my imagination as to what to model.

Some latest pics of the last couple of weeks work. I have also decided to post a screenshot with each new post demarcating the last detailing work done.

Regards

Shaun

4 Likes

I was thinking to myself that it is about time you pulled your finger out and got on with this! Looking good my friend.

Cheers, Clock. :joy: :beer: :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Hey Clock

Thanks so much, SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO nice to hear from you!!!

I think you may just be the one to assist me with a question, just remember to go slow and treat me as a FLPN idiot when you explain.

When modelling I want a shortcut for ‘’ Object, Transform, Origin to Geometry. "

Don’t know how to do this. Maybe assign V as I do not use it to go to Vertex Paint.

Regards

Shaun

OK, so go to Object - Set Origin - RMB click Origin to 3D Cursor - Select “Assign Shortcut” - then chose a letter for your shortcut.

Good to hear from you again, I thought you had been abducted by aliens or a tribe of Amazonian women…

Keep on keeping on, Clock. :yum:

I should be so lucky Clock!

Thanks my friend that was simple even for a half wit like me.

Send you a PM soon.

Regards

Shaun

I have to admit that for the Amazon tribe thing to be a reality you would have to be hung like a donkey with the stamina of a triple-ironman athlete, so I had shorter odds on the “probing aliens” scenario. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Cheers, Clock.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: At least I know why my arse is so sore!!!

1 Like

I was going through the thread and found this, did not know you were a prophet too Clock! :rofl:

Shaun

1 Like

Never really thought about how much of an undertaking a star destroyer would be. But of course if I was going to tackle it Id probably half follow the real greeble work and half make it up just to speed things up. So respect for wanting it as close to the original as possible.

Hope to see this finished oneday in the near future, keep it up!

1 Like

@Alex_ADEdge, thanks for nice comments. I also somehow at the outset of this project failed to see the monster task it would be, some naivety I think.

Latest update on the SD with pics from two different angles.

The upper decks have come a long way and I have decided to mirror the work on the left and right sides of the decks. I initially wanted to model both sides individually, but for a couple of reasons I have decided otherwise.

These being.

1. The vert count is starting to get a bit high.
  2. The model is obviously not going to be used for production of any sort.
  3. When I started the project I wanted to challenge myself to see if I could manage such a complex model. I think with the progress I have made so far I believe that I can get it right, so there is not really anything left to prove to myself.

Crits and comments as usual highly appreciated!

Regards

Shaun

2 Likes

It looks amazing. Such good work!

1 Like

Thanks Sterling, really appreciate it!

Shaun

Your progress and level of detail are out of this world! You continue to inspire me

1 Like

Thanks Adrian, appreciate your comments!

Engine area blocked out and ready to start the detailing work on it.

Regards

Shaun

1 Like

Hi All

I think I have given myself carpal tunnel syndrome. :rofl:, but engine area is complete.

Regards

Shaun

8 Likes

Wow! That is looking incredible! I doubt it would need much shader work the colour already matches.

1 Like