Star Trek: Into Darkness prologue is out...

Well, so I’ve harshed on JJAbrams previous Star Trek effort a lot. Mostly, I hated the JJPrize redesign. I’m still not too happy with it, and I still think it looks like a scorched turkey mixed with a kids nurf assault rifle.
But I sort of liked the cast. Especially the guy who plays Kirk. I thought he did some interesting things with a brash young character. At least, I thought he got the feel pretty close to right, if not exactly the look.

Now the first ten minutes of the next Star Trek film are out as a prologue video easer commercial. We get to see a little more of what this is going to be like.
In this teaser we get a little of what Captain Pike was trying to explain to Kirk in the previous film, that Starfleet is a humanitarian peacekeeping force. In this new prologue, the JJPrize crew have hidden the JJPrize safely out of view, underwater in the lagoon on a planet whose main volcano is about to go all Yellowstone. But Spock seems to have gotten himself into a difficult fix…

If you’d like to see a bad bootleg of the prologue, here’s a link.

So, what do you guys think of the new Submarine JJPrize film? Do you have any hope that it will be better than the previous one, or are you hoping the whole New Hotness JJPrize crew get consumed by the volcanic lava pools of Malastare so that we don’t have to keep going through this every couple of years?

Please vote. It makes a difference!

Well, I kinda liked the Star Trek film (though I thought Quinto did Spock very poorly – too emotional throughout) , and thought the enterprise redesign was as good as possible given the constraint of making it look “StarFleet style”

What I didn’t like is how it undid 20 years of Star Trek --basically I grew up on TNG, and now, it’s all out the window.

I’ll watch the prologue later. Thanks for the link

What I didn’t like is how it undid 20 years of Star Trek --basically I grew up on TNG, and now, it’s all out the window.

THAT I have to agree with. But, they get around it by saying that it’s all happening “in an alternative universe.”
But they only mean it in a “Who shot JR” was only a dream sort of way.
What I can’t handle is that the first one threw cares of anything resembling meaningful astrophysics, gaping plot loopholes, internal consistency, and main characters who were sometimes walking self-parodies right out the giant Bridge window and into the Black Hole.

OK – I watched it. Looks OK. See - I like Star Trek (the universe I mean) but am not a hard core trekkie. This clip highlights what has always been the difference between the movies and the tv shows – the movies focus on excitement and drama at the expense of continuity and accuracy, while the shows typically delve into larger issues – extraterrestrial morality, science fiction and technology, true character development. So that’s what I expect, an exciting movie with a lot of cliffhangers and explosions. And looks like that’s what I will get. I do hope they move past the whole “Needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few” theme. It’s been done to death.

(Haha – get it… “to death”?)

@Darren: :smiley: Yeah. I get it.
Who knows, maybe Kirk will get the last soaring line of the movie: “But you…see, Spock! The needs… of the… one, outweighed… the needs of the many.”
I don’t know, though. Yes, mostly the movies are just action shlock. For the most part. But there HAVE been Star Trek films that were cerebral and philosophical. “ST: The Motion Picture,” “Voyage Home,” heck I even thought “First Contact” and “Wrath Of Khan” had some pretty solid philo-scientiffic-political bellybutton gazing.
But yeah, mostly it’s “Die Hard In Space” with these things.
I sure wish they had not cancelled “Star Trek: Enterprise.” Now THAT show had it all!

I think one of the problems with the re-boot was that there were scenes that had been filmed, or at least written, that were dropped to add pace; reduce the running time of the film; and due to time constraints with the CG/edit/etc.

One noticeable one was a section that detailed where Nero had been all this time, reduce to a one line “a massive battle, destroying many clingon vessels” (or something similar) by way of explanation.

I also thought some of the scenes were ill thought out and scripted… it wouldn’t require a captain to say “polarise the view screen” when everyone was being blinded, so much so that the captain faced away from it till after his command… wtf, lol.

@Jonathan: Yeah, that’s sort of my feel about the previous one too. It did give me this jarring feeling, as if there were gaps in the script or something.
Normally I’m fine with something like that. I like when the audience has to do some work and provide some input about what these people do when they are not in front of the camera.
And if things in the story don’t always make perfect overt sense, well, I like when there might be something hidden that the audience has to provide. I like an audience that can use it’s imagination.

But that thing really did feel like there was missing sequences. As if there were scenes that needed to be in there, yet just weren’t.
I think that’s the problem I had with the Nemo character.
Instead of a fleshed out villain, realistic, human, and believably fleshy (Khan, for example), this douchenozzle just seemed more like a cardboard cutout.
His central problem seems to be that he lost his wife (garsh, where I have heard that before…) so he wants to take it out on Spock and JJPrize crew (uh, I know I’ve heard that one somewhere before…)
My central problem with that was that I found it unbelievable that that dude ever had a wife.

Remember, folks, THERE IS A POLL.
And since you are BA Citizens, it’s not only your RIGHT to vote, it’s your civic duty.
Please vote. It makes a difference.

Id didn’t have William Shatner in it - a big plus.

Agree that this and a couple of other scenes were weak.

…Or simply not believable.

Oh and can’t vote; I don’t like any of the options.

Well, thanks for dropping and commenting nonetheless.
Mostly I didn’t have any other options, and meeting the less than 100 character limit on poll options is a headache, especially for me, as I’m notoriously wordy.
But, if you have another option, even one you’d vote for, let me know and I’ll throw it in there.
Thanks again,
-Adam

PS: You were fine with them BLOWING UP VULCAN, but you had a problem with the windshield tint?

I was actually one of those who legally saw the trailer on the local IMAX here when we went to see the Hobbit. I have just one major question though.

Are they really intending for Spock to perish near the beginning of the second movie, because he lasted through the original series at least and the series just wouldn’t be the same without him!?

On a less serious note, are they implying that bedrooms won’t change much over the next three centuries, you’d think by then they would have beds with flexible hyper-sleep coils in the sheets and blankets to induce 8 hours of sleep quickly without any sort of medication, instead I see the guy having a bed looking like it came from the 1990’s.

@Ace Dragon: Hey, Ace, thanks for dropping by.
I seriously don’t see how would kill Spock at the beginning. Even for JJPrize, that just would go way beyond the pale.
Instead, I just see a terribly predictable bit of deus ex machina. Scotty figures out how to beam Spock aboard the submerged Submarine JJPrize through a hundred feet of water, or some other equally-stunning feat of tech as in dropping a grappling hook on him from a shuttle hovering 10 feet overhead.
Either way, as I said, I would be willing to put a $20 on Kirk getting his “The needs of the one outweighed the needs of the many” line. With this lot, I just don’t see how that’s avoidable. It would take a Miracle Worker of scriptwriting to somehow get around it…

On a less serious note, are they implying that bedrooms won’t change much over the next three centuries, you’d think by then they would have beds with flexible hyper-sleep coils in the sheets and blankets to induce 8 hours of sleep quickly without any sort of medication, instead I see the guy having a bed looking like it came from the 1990’s.

Ditto.