Staris, the staircase robot

Hi everybody, I am finally ready to post my latest 3D model. This autonomous robot will help pilots to get to their ship in a bigger scene (assuming I ever finish it).

I modeled most of it without using the subsurface modifier, I feel I have more control on the shape this way. To get the desired shading I marked sharps edges on the model. Ironically, the only problem I see in this workflow is the shading, as well. I can clearly see the transition between sharp edges as it looks like a clear “cut”. This is not a problem when the bevel is small but it is quite visible on the big ones. I would like to hear what do you guys think about this. I was aiming for photorealistic and I feel this is holding me back.

I did model the deposit of oil (big orange can) using a combination of bevel and subsurf modifier. The shading looks much better but controlling the shape felt harder and I had to optimize the model afterwards. Making a high poly and then retopology was not an option due to my schedule.

Please do not hesitate to critic and comment any thoughts you might have, here are the renders in cycles:

And here is the model in Sketchfab, here you can check the wireframe and other maps:

Staris, the staircase robot

1 Like

nice work … i would really like to se it in real life 3 or 4 years from now !!!

1 Like