State of Blender to Unreal workflow?

Are there any upcoming progress areas on Blender <> Unreal? Maya has a live stream between itself and Unreal which makes it pretty easy to do updates and show real time in Unreal. Houdini has pretty good UE support with H20 coming around the corner with even tighter integration as expected with Epic owning part of SESI. C4D/Redshift now gives you the ability to bring RS shaders into Unreal. I know some artists have been slowly moving over to UE for mograph too.

Are there any updates to Blender/UE integration?

I am not aware that any official support is planned (and it would be rather unusual and uncommon).

Was this abandoned (from 2020)?? ( not using unreal myself )

This is the original repository, which was removed:
https://github.com/epicgames/blendertools

I don’t know if it was replaced somehow.

So the epic devs ares slower than the blender devs… :rofl:

Hu? removed? Any news article I missed?

The original repository looks healthy and the latest release is from 3 weeks ago.
It works with Ue4 and UE5.
You just have to link your github account to the epic account to access the github site.
The explanation on how to do so is linked here;

https://github.com/EpicGames/BlenderTools
The documentation for it.

I haven´t tested the rigify part yet but it should also work alongside the one-click sending of meshes and materials.

4 Likes

Thanks for the info!
I was aware one can access the Unreal code by linking the GitHub profile. I didn’t expect this was necessary for those tools. Even more surprising is that there is something behind a 404 page. I didn’t find the documentation you linked which would explain the 404 page.

1 Like

Liked mentioned earlier the Send To Unreal official UE app is alive and well and I use it when demoing stuff in UE. I think it’s one of the longer developed apps compared to the options OP mentioned and is constantly updated.
One of the things I love the most about it is the realtime update feature, where you don’t have import an entire FBX again if you make changes to your scene in Blender.

If you’re getting 404 errors it’s because you haven’t linked your Github account to the Epic Github.

1 Like

Sorry for the Zombie, but my account IS linked and I get 404 errors.
Gonna try send2unreal, since the paid addon on Gumroad apparently is pretty much dead or the dev doesn’t have time for it. Just raised the price from 40 to 60 bucks, according to recent postings on Discord.

@anon55679826 is it translating shaders well? If there’s no real solution, I’ll rethink learning UE for now. Their devs apparently don’t even think about bridging to Blender and I want to avoid wasting a lot of time - I wanted t use it for Archviz to avoid rendering animations in Cycles, but that needs to pay off at some point, and when I need to redo tons of materials, shaders and purchase new plant models (!!) I’m definitely out :sweat_smile: I sepnt thousands on Blender assets, so there needs to be feasibility in that regard!
You appear to have experience, what would you advise me to do?