Steam Locomotive, LiDAR Landscape

You’re on the #featured row! :+1:

Thanks Bart!

it’s allowed to ask for a summary of what’s made by yourself and what’s bought?
the image looks like others said awesome. my favorite “next to the loc” are the Railroads.
the stone and the Rails itself looks amazing.

Super interesting and beautiful render!

It doesn’t look photo realistic at all, but what it does look like is a 19th century national romantic painting, which is even more impressive.

The sim looks good, but I think yea it just needs to be tinted a bit darker, these trains aren’t exactly the cleanest form of transport.

Hi Egan - thanks for the comment.

Pretty much everything is modeled by me as are the materials. The key exceptions are the trees (Botaniq and AlphaTrees) and the grasses (Botaniq and Graswald). Keep in mind that the overall landscape is taken from the UK government LiDAR data (linked elsewhere). I find that this is a great way to get the realistic shape to the scene as well as accurate positioning of trees.

Matt

1 Like

A few steps left to graduate this to a finished project. I’ve been working on getting the ballast fixed and some other minor tweaks. A major change is to swap out the locomotive to one that is more historically appropriate for the time period. Once all these fixes are in place, I’ll render out a 300dpi image for printing.

4 Likes

Oh, wow.
I wish I knew the secret of such beautiful reflections on the cars
Some thoughts about the steam and smoke.
I think it dissipates more over time and distance.
But your looks more artistic, I really like it

Thanks RuK.

The reflections all come from the environment and some bump based warping in the materials. I almost always put a very gentle procedural warp in the normal to get rid of the flat surface. As for the dissipation of the steam - I agree with you. I will try some tests with decreased density to see what it looks like. It may come down to artistic preference in the end.

Matt

1 Like

I was working towards completing this image - fixing some issues with the ballast, fireflies, etc., and doing a final complete render at a higher resolution - thinking that it would then be done. But now I think this kind of project is never done. There are still many things that I want to address in the image. So rather than say it is a ‘finished project’, I’m going to say that there is a first version. I’ll now see what it looks like when printed (any advice about good quality printing?).

Here’s a sample of the picture rendered in a higher resolution.

1 Like

That bright smoke is taking too much attention

Place the right side’s trees a bit closer to the camera so it would move the viewer’s attention towards the left side and would fill up the bit of really blank space. Try it at your convenience, but I really think it would improve the image a lot.

Nice work! :star_struck:

1 Like

I’ve just sent this off for a print at Giclee Today. Anyone have any experience with this printer?

FWIW - I got the print delivered today from Giclee Today. I’m very happy with it.

1 Like

Can you show a picture of the print?

Here you go (taken with a cell phone using a flash, so quality may not be great).

6 Likes

Nice, in the paper looks more of a painting than a photo.

1 Like

That looks really nice.

1 Like

I recently made an alternate rendering of this scene with a slightly different camera angle and with an LNER A4 rather than an A3.

3 Likes