Steep learning curve of material creation?

Material creation is really hard work. If you want realistic or PBR material creation, then firstly you must learn a little optical physics.

I appreciate your sentiment, as a matter of fact, I’m a physics grad student lol. I know standard optics, perhaps into a little more depth than an average person (I know what Fresnel is, or why visible light does not pass through metals etc.). I know how these translate into Blender and what the basic sliders do :slight_smile: however, when people start adding Voronois, waves, and start mixing them with various sliders, I’d argue that this has little to do with the knowledge of optics and is more about experience or trying hard and long enough until it “looks right”. How they got there is not apparent to me from their tutorials…even as I’m creating it along the tutorial, it barely looks right to me until the last node mixing everything together is connected to the base color and everything comes together. I never see it beforehand.

For realistic material creation, you can watch CgCookie’s paid ShaderForge tutorials.

Thank you for the tip on the tutorial!

But maybe you must learn firstly how create UV Map of your model and how create good topology.

I know how to create UV maps and I mentioned topology a great deal in my post :wink: When I do the squares thingy it looks even, not stretched and roughly the same size. I know how to unwrap and reasonably apply a texture, I’m struggling with creation of such texture…

Or you can use free or paid pre-made materials like VMATS, but even so you must learn a little optical physics for create custom materials.

I’d like to avoid using pre-made materials, I’d like to create it from scratch :slight_smile: