Steps in texturing

Hi all, I’m starting to texture my character now, so I thought starting out with project painting with the clone tool and then enhancing the painted texture bit by bit would be a good idea.

UV-mapping works out just fine, but now I have some questions about the texturing process. Project painting works great, but it’s limited in the resolution of the image it’s mapped to. Painting hardly is possible with a resolution higher then 1024 on 1024 on my PC.

What resolution should I use? It’s for the main character, so I do want it highly detailed.
Next, should I use separate UV-maps and texture for different bodyparts? Like should I make a separate texture for the hands, and face for example… but then, how do I avoid or hide seams?

I know the technique of painting… I know the technique of UV-Mapping, but is there some ‘good practice’ guide to follow?

I’d appreciate all help.

greets,
Bart

you may find this methodology using UV layers useful http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Ref/Release_Notes/2.49/Projection_Paint

thanks for the tip, but I already use this technique… And it’s not quite about methodology, it’s about the technique of cloning and project painting. It’s good for plain color, but for adding more detail, like for example more detail on the lips, I’d need to end up with a resolution that is way beyond the size that blender can handle in projection painting and cloning, if I use only one UV-map for the character. Also, painting normal maps, bumpmaps specularity maps, require more detail then just a color map.

So the question remains… Should I use only one UV-map, and manually paint it in gimp for example? Or should I use a different materials and textures for, as example again, the lips, the face, and try to fix the seams afterwards?

The tutorials are quite usefull to learn a technique, but they lack the background in order to understand a good workflow and methodology.

I assume you’ve tried each method, which one do you prefer ?

Obviously project painting is the most fun, painting directly on the character I’m working on, not having to worry about seams. Painting on a UV-map is way more tedious, and much less intuitive. Sadly project painting doesn’t result in that much detail, since the resulting image file is limited, to keep it workable in blender.

if the mouth requires more detail, then make the UV island corresponding to the mouth larger. Also, there is no longer a need to use square image files, so one thing you may wish to try, is doing the mouth and other detailed parts as seperate image files, then linking those files together like tiles in an image editor, then reloading your UVs to the new image, and adjusting the islands position.