Stereo 3D renders - unexpected behavior in 4.0.2

I’m testing merged stereo panorama rendering in 4.0.2, and the options don’t appear to be behaving the way the documentation describes.

The headset I’m targeting wants 4k square images arranged top-bottom.

Camera:

• Stereoscopy Mode: Off-axis
  • Spherical Stereo: On

Output:

• Resolution: 4096x4096
  • Stereoscopy: On
    • Stereoscopy mode: Stereo 3D
  • Views Format: Stereo 3D
    • Stereo Mode: [Top-Bottom | Side-by-Side]
    • Squeezed Frame: [On | Off]

For file saving I have a File Output node hooked to the Image Out of the default Render Layers node.

For all 4 combinations of the bolded lines above (top-bottom / side-by-side / Squeezed / Not Squeezed) Blender renders each eye at 4096x4096, then saves a 4096x4096 top-bottom image, throwing half the rendered pixels away.

This is the behavior I would expect from Top-Bottom / Squeezed (frames arranged top-bottom,50% lossy in vertical).

What I want (and what I expected Blender to do) is to set Output Resolution to 4096x2048 and use Top-bottom / Unsqueezed to give me a 4k square image containing every rendered pixel. This would cut render times by 50% over the behavior I’m seeing, which would be significant.

Am I missing a step/setting, or is Blender not behaving per the (admittedly sparse) documentation for this feature?

OK, I figured it out while making a repro scene from scratch - the File Output node has its own settings for Stereo output options which override the scene output options.