Still stuck at these pesky topo/shading tricks, after 12 years of Blender

Yeah, quite ashamed to admit but I still socks at this some times …

I have this part which I obviously want to be as smooth as silk, but the joint between that protuberance and the main support I cannot solve. I tried some different supporting edge loops and knife work but it just push the issues later, and for consistent topology I can’t add more loops around this.

Any ideas ?

Topo.blend (936.4 KB)

Thanks !

Really difficult to answer without remodelling. I think you should aim to have as little topology as needed to hold the forms. The less geometry, the less to work with. I think you have too many loops at the intersection. Having similar geometry density might help. Now it seems the bigger cylinder is a bit too sparse and the attached part has geometry that does not follow the curvature of it. You should also plan ahead so that edges defining different forms on different parts align. It’s way harder to fix it than to model it well from the start. Not sure if I am making much sense… I would have started with the bigger cylinder having enough geometry to align with the attached part:

It would be very difficult to add those loops now so that they follow the curvature correctly.

3 Likes

When you make a smooth, subdivided model, you should have clean edge loops that border every important feature. Maybe you have seen images of a character’s face topology: there are edge loops that circle the eyes and mouth, every polygon flows in a specific direction smoothly.

Sometimes, you have a shape that makes it hard to plan such edge loops. That’s when retopology can help you. You can redo the polygons of a messy model more cleanly using the original shape as a template.

You can start by surrounding every feature of the object with edge loops, like this.

Then, you fill the flat areas between those loops, trying to keep an even grid of quads where possible. This will ensure a smooth model that subdivides well.

If the original wasn’t shaped perfectly, the end result will still have a bit of its unevenness, but the problems caused by the polygon structure will be resolved.

Here is the file, with a quick example of retopology.

Topo.zip (931.9 KB)

5 Likes

I think that might be a bit too much geometry for this. I mean… It’s sort of fine, but it’s harder to keep this amount even and it just takes more time to work like this.

1 Like

Maybe, but then it might just be a matter of reducing the geometry, combining unneeded loops. I would do it next if this was my model, but I am not going to spend hours completing someone else’s model for a quick demonstration.

1 Like

I think the video will help solve some of the problems.

Hello guys, many thanks for your feedback, investigating that way !

1 Like