Stitch two 2D Plane Meshes

Hi all

I’m fairly new to to blender and recently I’ve been experimenting with modelling. I was trying to make a car from two 2D planes: A side view and a top view. This is how I approached it:

StartPoint: Draw Top View and Side View (Pic 1)
Step 1: Convert Curves to Mesh (Pic 2\3)
Step 2: Extrude Top Face using Region Method (Pic 4)
Step 3: Cut the Top Face Region by snaping the knife tool to the Side View Mesh’s Vertices (Pic 5)

Final Result: (Pic 6)

If you look at my final picture you will see that after my process I wasn’t able to construct a 3D Object because I didn’t know how to join the planes. This is my problem. I don’t know how to join the planes together without having to create a face for each individual vertice (Which is alot of work considering the amount of vertices there are in my project). I would really appreciate all suggestions and\or constructive critisisims as it would help me to approach these problems in future.

Thanks all for taking a look at this post.

Cheers Chris

Attachments

So you approached this as tho you were using a band saw?
Thats pretty interesting.
You oculd try boleans, I think its under the Ctrll-W menu, select one object, then the other. Bolen the difference.
And they should intersect.
But first allign them so their intersecting, and extrude them as though you intersecting two rectangles.
And if you haven’t saved, you might want to lower the resulotion of the curve a little bit.

Select all the edge vertices that you want to join together (it looks from you picture as if that is all your vertices), and then press ‘F’ (fill) and select ‘Skin edge loops’ from the popup menu. You may need to recalculate normals (Ctl-N) afterwards.

I would really appreciate all suggestions and\or constructive critisisims as it would help me to approach these problems in future.

Your modelling technique is a little unorthodox. Do you really want a strictly rectangular cross section? If so, OK, though I doubt that using curves bought you much compared to just making the mesh directly. If not, you might not find what you have a convenient starting point for further shaping.

Best wishes,
Matthew