Storyboarder v1 Released: Open Source Story Boarding Software

I’m not sure if they want people to use the software or they simply made it free so anyone could leverage, in the end it is an internal tool that they use, and they decided to not to sell it… so why would they want people to use it?

I find it awesome, and the automated storyboard tool based on description is awesome for fast explanations.

Cheers

I don’t think anyone here has mentioned the brilliant Fountain support: load up a Fountain formatted script, and Storyboarder creates scenes and shots automatically, and adds a nice looking scrollable pane on the left.

It’s amazing. And free.

See for yourself how it works: download the “Big Fish” example Fountain file, and load it up in Storyboarder.
https://fountain.io/

The software seems to be okay, except that I didn’t find any way to turn those annoying sound effects off. Did I miss something?

Lol, that made me cringe too. I like distraction free software :stuck_out_tongue: Still good tool though :slight_smile:

About sounds and other settings…
On Linux you have preferences file on ‘~/.config/Storyboarder/pref.json’.
I guess in Windows you will have something similar in Program Data folder or something like that.

You close the program first before modifying file, otherwise it will be restored when you close the program. You replace ‘true’ by ‘false’ (or vice versa) where appropriate. Save changes.

Could someone share an screenshot of the full Keymap (Help > Key Commands)?
In Linux image appears cut to the right (I think).
Edit:
Ok, in home site it is the full Key map Commands image :slight_smile:

I got rid of the sounds turning them off in the preferences, then closing and reopening the program.

I had to have a giggle at the Undo tooltip. But …er… yes, very ahem, unprofessional. Tee hee!

Just think of it as a re-definition of professionalism where formality gives way to honesty, and you can rest easy as you use these art tools to make big titted cyborg women with huge guns for your artstation portfolios.

We’re not in real estate here. I think it’s about damn time folks realize that there’s room for levity and irreverence in these fields of work.

Sure, redefine it to the way the internet would desire, let’s see what that would look like.

• Disagreeing with other people would become a crime, people who don’t think like others will be bashed until they drop off the web
  • Integrity will no longer exist
  • Intelligent thought and sophisticated word choice will no longer exist, people will rather spam the profanities as if they are sacred and holy.
  • .gif images and meme spam would be everywhere
  • People deemed as too sophisticated will be banned en-masse (if your thoughts are not on filth 24/7, you are not welcome).
  • The apps. themselves will become M-rated, even word processors and tax software.
  • The apps. themselves will become incredibly quirky and be filled with questionable design decisions (and people who question the changes will be blown off and not listened to at all).
  • The apps. themselves will make use of pirated content for marketing material and asset libraries
  • The apps. themselves will have marketing videos that are filled with people screaming (the stuff millennials try to pass off as ‘music’).
  • The apps. themselves will be filled with little bugs, grammar errors, and the ‘new and cool’ ways to spell words.
  • The apps. themselves may see updates that download malware to your machine (maybe to mine crytocurrency, or maybe to give the programmers access to your personal info as a way for you to ‘pay’ for the obviously free software).

Okay, maybe I exaggerate things a little, but a number of them are actually not that far off the mark when noting previous incidents regarding certain communities and applications.

tbh you just described the corporate status quo for the past 50 years in a lot of those bullet points

especially the emotionally charged decision making and line towing

Have you seen the comments sections of various tech, gaming, and news sites in the last few years (they were proving some of those points to a T before the sections were axed)?

Some of the points regarding apps. have also been seen in Indie games and FOSS applications (something which even Blender does not entirely avoid). There have been instances of devs. tying themselves into knots in order to ignore users (such as the various controversies that arose around the development of The GIMP). I included them in the list because the Indie and FOSS scenes are often seen as the answer to the perceived abuse of users by corporations (and as such would be seen as vanguards of the ‘new professionalism’).

Though on that, you might as well purge the idea of professionalism from society because if spewing F-bombs is seen as professional, then the word is meaningless (as with just about every other English term if the Internet gets its way).

Noise. (Shit) Happens when you herd sheep.

Honesty is considered in my voc. part of being ‘professional’ & bTW professionals are only payed for a service, majority are not experts.

Does any one else has problems in Linux.

None of the tool buttons is working.

Pen pressure is not recognized.

Overwriting a file gives an error message.

Shortcuts are working OK though.

Also the GUI looks different from the screen-shot in their site.

It looks like a little nice tool to me, very useful for quickly explain or test animation ideas but unfortunately I can not test it.:frowning:

Nice software and a team with a great sense of humor.

Works well on my Huion 610 Pro under Debian Sid. The view controls have some issues for Grids.

The Download is only Beta 11. Go to their Github page and test out Beta 12 or newer. I’m going to test out Beta 12.1 right now.

Grids now work on Beta 12.1.

if I have seen right, its build upon a local “chrome browser” with a nifty webpage interface for interacting with it!?
Quite a cool solution for making heavy usage of html and Javascript.

Edit: current version 0.12.1. is somehow broken on Windows, old version 0.11.0 works thou.

Do you mean I have to build from source?

Because the “Click here to download the latest release” button leads back to their site?!

This is were I downloaded from in the first place.

on the github page you have to click on “releases”

there you can download the builds for your OS. :slight_smile:

Thank you!
I was totally blind:D

Now things seems to work OK.

I’ll give it a deeper look later.

Things are getting… heated up.

The developer (Charles Foreman) suddenly made a 180 degree turn in regards to him open sourcing Storyboarder under the ISC license. Seems he doesn’t want other people forking his work in order to remove the swearing in Storyboarder. One forker decided to remove the profanity, watermark and Google tracking, and create a portable version for use in his 6th to 8th grade animation classes.

Whereupon Charles Foreman claims to have made an error, and that json.package was automatically created with the ISC license. He withdrew it 11 days ago:

In the meantime a portable forked version without profanity, Google tracking, and watermark is downloadable here:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZCBzQ

It’s called “StorySketch” :stuck_out_tongue:

Is this at all possible? Can the ISC license be removed like this, and copyright returned? Sounds very iffy to me.