Strands problems

I have 2 problems with strands.

1. The strands do not seem to obey the vertex groups at all when I have mirror or subsurf modifier before it. Can this be fixed in any way?

2. It’s almost impossible to style the hair because the brush takes everything on it’s way with it. So is there any way to control which strands the brush actually affects? For example make the brush only affect the strands that it touched on the first click, or something.

1. It’s almost impossible to style the hair because the brush takes everything on it’s way with it. So is there any way to control which strands the brush actually affects? For example make the brush only affect the strands that it touched on the first click, or something.

In point or tip select mode, if you select some strands, your brush will only affect those selected strands. In the select menu there are numerous selection options

1. If you say I want hair to be born in this face, blender knows it is face number 234 for example. Then you apply a subsurf modifier and now face 234 is not more and instead it was subdivided in four new faces that are 563,564,623,624. So obviously is not blender fault.
    Your solution would be to duplicate the object so one is growing the hair but not rendered and the other is subdivided and rendered

2. Press w and “select roots” and then using C in “normal” brush mode you can deselect the hairs you are going to comb. Then press H to “freeze” the hairs you don’t want to comb. Alt+H to defreeze

Ah, that works, thanks. :> Is there keyboard shortcuts for changing particle select/display modes? Kind of tedious when you have to click between modes all the time.

Also a bonus question, is there an “add” mode to the lasso select tool (my favorite)? It seems to invert everything in the selection, which makes it very difficult to control with a lot of tiny tightly packed dots. I know holding shift is deselect but that doesn’t help all that much.

I thought vertex groups transferred into subsurfaced meshes fine, so I thought it should work. hm. It actually works if I simply place the particles before the other modifiers, but it’s much less accurate (hairs are growing from invisible faces that do not exist in the subsurfed mesh) so I don’t want to do that.

I find simply selecting the hairs I want works. :> Is there a way to deselect things in brush-select mode? I can only manage to add with it. You’d imagine holding alt or something and clicking made it deselect but nope.